Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1970 Ford front end loader

NikkiM ยท 2024-11-26 22:00

Have a 1970 Ford front loader in with major engine damage and this customer will not part off with it. This customer is nothing but cheap skate, buys the cheapest equipment that are a total POS and this is one like it. Came in running bad and the compression was low on all the cylinders which I did a compression test. I ran my boroscope before tear down in the cylinders finding bad valves and one piston with a hole in it. The service manager was even there when I did this and seen it. I pulled the oil pan off, 2 loose rods at the crank. Service manager even witnessed me drain the oil finding metal sparkles in the oil. Luckily the guy that does the engine machine work checked it and said the crank is junk beyond repair. I even ran my boroscope down the cylinders again showing him the bad valves and one piston with a hole in it. Said chances are he will find the head is junk finding cracks, valve seats pushed in and bad valve guides. He was there to drop off a cylinder head he did head work to and is our go to guy for engine machine work doing good work. Called the customer and he wants to fix it, service manager said over a grand in for repairs plus parts if we can find parts for it plus my time pulling the engine out. It also needs transmission work and he was told it was more to fix than it is worth. Did put the oil pan back on putting the old oil back in driving it out putting it outside. My boss and I agree with the service manager on this, worth scrap metal. It was in for brakes last month and told him it was not worth pouring anymore money into it.

Replies2
  1. #1Old Doug2024-11-27 08:06

    One of the joys being a mechanic .

  2. #2NikkiM2024-11-28 19:29

    The guy whom does the engine machine work for us said he would not touch those parts. My boss is going to give him even more bad news on Monday, will no longer come here for repairs since he is nothing but a pita