What is the purpose of this 75 ohm large ceramic resistor, its burnt and disconnected, the key switch is after market and not wired per these schematics.
lol i see its 14 bucks plus shipping , no, any ceramic 75 ohm will work, 1 dollar
If that's a gas motor machine, perhaps it is for the ignition coil supply voltage?
That looks like a ballast resistor for a gas engine. It's purpose is to reduce the amperage going through the points during normal operation to reduce wear on the contacts. During starting (start position on key switch) the ballast resistor is bypassed to give more amps to the coil and a stronger spark to get the engine started. It also helps to counteract the reduced voltage causes by the starter motor pulling down the system during starting, and also helps to regulate the spark during changes in temperature. If you have mechanical points, you probably should have a ballast resistor. If you have upgraded to electronic ignition, you can get a correctly sized coil and eliminate the ballast resistor. If you have a diesel, I have no idea.
The burnt resistor probably explains why the ignition switch is "not wired correctly" . A bad why to get current to the points and coil. Every time I saw one with a jumper around it, the points would burn up quickly and the coil would get hot. General motors used those resistors in cars in the mid 1950s.
I have this is as well on my machine but I have a diesel. Without any prior research I assumed it was a circuit breaker, part of the starter motor/solenoid circuit.
FUEL gauge
Should be approximately 5 volts out the other end, if it's for fuel gauge. I thought back then, they would have bimetallic instrument voltage regulator.
thanks, explains why fuel gauge doesnt work. in any case (lol) i am ripping out all the gauges and replacing with a custom made glass panel for all functions. will be cheaper than fixing the tach gear lol
That's the alternator exciting resistor. Does your tractor charge? Then it probably was changed to a different type of alternator.
Welcome to HEF, Katep788 ! That thread is over two years old. Unfortunately I remember Tracing. I don't believe we will ever hear from Tracing on here ever again.