Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1971 Case 580b hydraulic fluid in radiator.

1971-580b ยท 2014-11-03 01:52

Would someone be able to advise me on two issues with my backhoe? 1. There seems to be hydraulic fluid in my radiator, and the transmission is almost empty with green antifreeze mixed with the hydraulic fluid. I am assuming that there is a transmission cooling attachment in the radiator that is leaking. 2. The second concern I have is excessive blue smoke. I am wondering if this might indicate a crack in the block which is allowing the radiator contents (mainly hydraulic oil) to enter the piston chamber and burn? Thanks in advance for any help! Ray

Replies7
  1. #11971-580b2014-11-03 02:02

    nnn

  2. #2melben2014-11-03 06:55

    Yes, there is a transmission cooler in the bottom of the radiator providing that it is a powershuttle. If there was burning of coolant to that degree it would most likely be blowing water out of the radiator past the pressure cap and getting enough in the cylinders to lock it up on startup. Does it blow wet speckles of black stuff all over at startup? if so that is an indicator of a water leak into the combustion chamber. My recommendation would be to correct the cooler issue, Depending on where it is cracked I have heard of good radiator shops repairing them and some have attempted add on transmission cooler setups, cleanse the cooling system with repeated cleaner flushes till clean then deal with the other problem which could be injectors, timing, inj. pump or low compression. Hard starting would be an indicator of low compression. Misuse of ether could have piston damage such as broken ring lands causing blowby at the discharge pipe that fastens to the tappet cover and comes down probably near the starter. One has to be careful here on diagnosis though, as an engine with the white smoke can cause a wet exhaust from incomplete combustion with black sooty discharge on the exhaust stack with even liquid running down it.

  3. #3Bill Smith2014-11-03 07:33

    Is it possible this old girl needs to be freshened up ,After all it is over 40 years old

  4. #41971-580b2014-11-03 15:27

    Thank you Melban, I have not noticed any wet speckles of black stuff all over at startup. I think I will try to place an independent transmission cooler in place of the one that has failed on the radiator. Interesting that you mention water bypassing the radiator cap, there is some, that is when I noticed that the green water discharge was very thick, it was hydraulic fluid in the mix. Whenever the engine is placed under strain, like when using the bucket to lift a mass of dirt it really starts to produce a huge quantity of blue smoke? I also have oil being forced out of the oil dipstick hole, as if the crankcase has pressure in it beyond what is normal? Thanks again.

  5. #51971-580b2014-11-03 15:46

    Hi Bill, Do I really have to admit the 580 is over 40 years old, she is new to me! We bought it about a year ago for some work on some property that we also bought which is loaded with tons of rocks to move. When I drove up to the fella's ranch he was actually using the hoe and it was barely smoking. I figured for $3800.00 I could repair and replace hoses and seals. I have never really been a mechanic but I love to learn and so far this adventure has been a lot of learning. I have rebuilt several of the rams and replaced a few hoses. I never imagined that at 60years old I would be so interested and excited about learning to operate and repair a Case 580b backhoe. All of my work experience has been working for corporations and operating my own restaurants. Now I actually think that eventually this old gal will be more than freshened up! Thanks Bill, you made me think a little with your question! Ray

  6. #6Bill Smith2014-11-04 07:02

    Ya I hear you . Its nice to get out of the stress of the corporate world . Enjoy your 580 Ray they can be fun. Bill

  7. #7melben2014-11-04 07:51

    580b, If you choose to go with a add on cooler remember it should be capable of handling system pressure of the shuttle. A cooler with a 500 lb rating should give a good safety margin. The cooler is the first component in the pump pressure flow circuit. Mel