Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1971 Case 580B – Steering arm frozen to spindle

tracing · 2019-05-27 18:01

The right arm and spindle were previously repaired and damaged, the top of the spindle appeared to have been split at the cotter pin hole by excessive puller tool use, and the round cover on the right side (that I am pulling on for the left side spindle) is partially broken, probably from puller use. I have a new spindle for the right side, doing all the bearings etc, decided to do left side, it is frozen tight. Pics attached of current puller set up, probably same way they damaged the right side, I am going to add a socket to the top of the spindle instead of driving the puller point into that weak cotter pin drill area. I have use PB, heat hammer etc, nothing, only using a standard length 3/4 open end wrench on the puller, not a breaker bar, to avoid excessive pressure that may break the part the puller legs are attached to. Used propane, going to up it to mapp gas and more smoke and heat. https://imgur.com/a/0lEJgbN https://imgur.com/a/dGfJNRM

Replies26
  1. #1tracing2019-05-27 18:07

    I think I am going to put the tore back on, and then hammer back and forth on the arm to help the splines release maybe, I havent seem anyone try that yet.

  2. #2Bls repair2019-05-27 18:48

    Photos help see what you have to deal with

  3. #3tracing2019-05-27 20:35

    links to the photos are in the post, this website wouldnt let the image command work. the left side i am working on isnt actually bad, i was doing it to do it since i am doing the right side which had damage. on the right side the lower needle bearing came right out, the top needle bearing was destroyed, i got it out by bending it inward and pulling it out, here is the question, is that tube hollow with no grooves or seats, cause i see a ring towards the bottom of where the old needle bearing was and it does not move, i didnt know if it was part of the bottom of the old bearing or a seat for the bearing. the old bearing was ripped out from the bottom of the bearing so its just flat jagged steel. ill get photos of that next.

  4. #4tracing2019-05-27 20:37

    that two legged puller is autocraft crap, it keeps being over off center when tight, so i need to get another puller

  5. #5tracing2019-05-27 20:39
  6. #6Bls repair2019-05-28 05:47

    Heat lots of heat

  7. #7DB22019-05-28 06:49

    Is it on a taper? If so hold one sledgehammer against it and hit the opposite side with another sledge.

  8. #8tracing2019-05-28 09:27

    thanks... how about this right side spindle tube.. is that a seat foir the upper bearing or remnants of the destroyed upper bearing

  9. #9tracing2019-05-28 09:33

    since i use this at home, i am going to leave the left nut off and watch it, and see if normal use breaks it loose on its own, the right side needs repair, so i am going to concentrate on that repair to get the hoe back in service, i replaced the entire spindle with a new one as the old one had been damaged by operator and welded into a mess. wheel bearings are done, now looking at that upper needle bearing and what i need to do to get it in their properly. does the upper bearing seat flush with the top of the tube or is it supposed to be down farther, thats one reason i was trying to do the left side was to see how it was assembled so i could repeat on the right side, but the left side is good and not worth risking damage to it for a preventative repair at this point in the season

  10. #10Vetech632019-05-28 18:39

    I cant believe there aren't 3 pages of responses right now.

  11. #11tracing2019-05-28 18:54
  12. #12Vetech632019-05-28 18:58

    Why don't you go to the case website and find the parts breakdown for it?

  13. #13tracing2019-05-28 23:25

    did that last week when i ordered parts, which of my questions would the parts diagram help? none sho the inside of the tube or tell if the bearings are to be mounted flush or not, may be i am missing something from your suggestion

  14. #14tracing2019-05-28 23:28

    memorial eekend

  15. #15Vetech632019-05-29 07:14

    Well, it shows a seal, guard, and a shim. If you had those parts in hand, with your brain power, I would think that a reasonable deduction could be met.

  16. #16tracing2019-05-29 07:41

    while we wait for comments about the needle bearing housing,, here is some more entertainment

  17. #17Vetech632019-05-29 10:59

    Here's one for you.

  18. #18Vetech632019-05-29 11:02

    And another

  19. #19Vetech632019-05-29 11:05

    This one reminds me of every one of your threads.

  20. #20tracing2019-05-29 11:55

    we dont have those in virginia, cause i would pump 15 into him without a thought

  21. #21tracing2019-05-29 12:01

    Content removed

  22. #22tracing2019-05-29 12:02

    Content removed Digger242j

  23. #23thepumpguysc2019-05-30 04:58

    All kidding aside.. the question was.. is this a stopping land for the needle brg...or left over brg housing.?? It looks to me like> left over brg. cage..< I've never seen that much "slag" on the walls of a stopping land.. But you've probably figured that out by now. Have u seen an inside bearing/seal puller.. u probably have. It has 2 legs that face inwards.. Theres a small seal in 1 of the inj. pumps I do, that requires one.. I adapted mine to a slide hammer.. install the tool & run the rod down until it stops & pop, pop, pop.. out comes the seal.. The threaded rod of the slide hammer is what pushs the legs out.. It looks like THAT would be an ideal candidate for that tool.. I got mine from the Strap-on truck..

  24. #24Vetech632019-05-30 07:26

    There is nothing to learn here, unless posters want to see what a "look at me I'm awesome and I have videos to prove it" looks like. You have been given sound advice in the past by people with experience and you ignore it anyway. Better yet, if their advise doesn't line up with YOUR ultimate wisdom, you berate their advice as illogical. It makes no difference to me, call me what ever name you like...……….I wont lose any sleep over it. The total lack of responses here speaks volumes, but hey...…..if you like being NOSTRODUMBAZZ, by all means continue.

  25. #25thepumpguysc2019-05-30 07:30

    I have but 1 criticism on your post V.. its "NOSTRAL"- DUMBAZZ.. Lol

  26. #26digger242j2019-05-30 11:12

    Do I even need to explain why this thread has been closed?