Good morning all... The shaft going through the ring gear and hub is there supposed to be play in this? Like the shaft doesn't spin on the spline obviously but slides a bit in the hub... Newbie with this type of tractor any information would be great I just don't wanna re assemble the rear end and have it wobble
Apparently newbie to anything mechanical or made from steel ! Can't even enlarge the photo and it's pretty obvious that the ring gear is smoked as well as the spider gears, I hope all those shiny bits all over the entire assembly are from you grinding the studs out, if not they should tell you something. This is not a space to be playing grabass..
Yes the metal shavings are from me grinding the studs and I thought the spider gears didn't look that bad
Ring gear needs some dental work
Yes there should be "play" in it. The gears are trashed. Probably a few other things to. Parts books reveal a lot of information other than part numbers. Take a close look at the shaft details. Go here to see it in the parts book. ---> https://www.mycnhistore.com/us/en/c...56875BD6/B8D06496-EFBE-E111-9FCE-005056875BD6
We may need to correct @Tinkerer here re the cross-shaft & crownwheel carrier. It needs to be a press fit - with the cross-shaft holding the crownwheel hub firmly. Reason being, if it is loose, the crownwheel backlash to the pinion will vary - causing an incorrect tooth contact area - which shortens the life of the gear set. I have successfully had cross shaft splines metal sprayed & fitted them firmly using loctite as well. It is not the textbook repair & some of the metal spray does come off during refit - but it definitely makes a firm fit.
Ok the play is not side to side the hub slides just a bit in and out I thought it would have a little play but I'm new at this
Any movement needs to be sorted to prevent future crownwheel/pinion tooth failures. Backlash is set at .006"-.011" - any movement in the shaft will vary that clearance.
I will try and post a video of the movement so it can be seen better...
On the upper right side of that ring gear, there are two teeth half gone, and one on one side and two on the other side chipped pretty bad. A small chip is fine even if not "textbook". With the ring gear that bad, how bad is the pinion gear? that will usually be much worse than the ring gear. If you're this far into it, do it right.
I am replacing the ring gear and pinion gear my major concern is the differential shaft that has a minimal amount of play to the differential hub... Like inward and outward no wobble
Do you have the service manual ???
Yes I have the service manual I am in the process of re riveting the ring gear to the hub