Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1971 Case 580ck tach drive?

Christopher Murray ยท 2023-01-06 18:17

Hello I have a 1971 case 580ck with the 188D got a replacement tach and cable but I think something is missing.. looks to be internal threads. Just wondering if there is an adapter or piece that threads in so I can hook up my cable any help would be appreciated picture below that center piece spins when engine is on

Replies5
  1. #1Christopher Murray2023-01-06 18:18
  2. #2alrman2023-01-06 21:58

    There is a male & female verion of the tacho drive - there is no adapter required, yoi simply do not the correct one - cable or drive. You may have ordered the corrrect cable for your machine, but perhaps the engine was replaced in it at some time & they kept the drive from the doner machine?

  3. #3Christopher Murray2023-01-07 08:37

    Ok well that's good to know.... Now I need to find the right cable..... Any idea if they are even made anymore?

  4. #4Tinkerer2023-01-07 09:14

    First, determine if the tach drive is turning while the engine is running. They have a fiber gear on them and quite often wear out. Salvage yards are the only practical place to find one if you do need to replace it. They cost several hundreds of dollars at a CNH dealer. Go to post #82 in this thread for more info on the same problem ------> HeavyEquipmentForums

  5. #5Christopher Murray2023-01-07 09:28

    The tach drive is turning with the engine running that I verified. I will see if I can find one on a parts machine