Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1971 Ford 4500 transmission swap

Ken843B ยท 2017-06-13 19:11

Just curious if anyone has swapped out the 4500 4x4 torque converter transmission for a manual 6x2 transmission out of a 1972 Ford 4000. The 4x4 trans doesn't work to good for me as I have to drive it between farms, and the hills makes the trans temp light come on making for slow trips. I recently came across a 6x2 transmission out of a 1972 4000 ag tractor, it has a good steering box on it. The 6x2 trans uses a single clutch, and while looking for a flywheel I noticed in the NH parts book that the two flywheels listed for the torque converter also has 11" clutch listed in the description. My 4500 is a 1971 year model with the diesel engine, and I'm curious if the current flywheel will work with the 6x2 transmission, or does anyone know which flywheel I need if the for the 4x4 flywheel won't work with the 6x2. For what I use it for I don't really need to have the shuttle shift anyways, and its going to need to be worked on soon.

Replies6
  1. #1mitch5042017-06-15 22:52

    Your flywheel definitely won't work. The flywheel for a torque converter is nothing like the flywheel for a clutch. The flywheel for a 4000 with that transmission should work fine. If I remember right, the problem you are going to run into is gearing. Going way back in my memory, I think the rear end gearing for the torque converter tractor is very different from the gearing for dry clutch machine. It seems like doing the swap may give you a tractor that is geared so high as to be useless, but it may be the other way.

  2. #2Ken843B2017-07-03 11:43

    I got a flywheel, clutch, and all the other parts need out of a 4500 that had the manual shuttle that was being parted out.

  3. #3mitch5042017-07-03 14:25

    I looked in my books and couldn't find different rear end gearing for a torque convertor as opposed to a dry clutch, so hopefully my memory is wrong. I did find rear end gearing of 15.75:1 for a dry clutch, and 30:1 for a select-o-speed, so hopefully that's what I'm remembering. Good luck, Mitch

  4. #4Ken843B2017-07-03 15:46

    According to a couple people I found that worked on these old Fords for years said the rear end gear is no issue going from the 4x4 torque converter to the 6x2 clutch.

  5. #5mitch5042017-07-04 00:31

    It looks like that is correct. I looked in parts and service manuals and only found the 15.75 ring and pinion, except for the select-o-speed, and all the planetaries seem to be the same. I guess the select-o-speed is what I remember being different, not the reversing torque converter tranny. A shop my brother worked in had a sign on the wall that said: "Everybody is impressed with doctors, and they only have to know 2 models; then they expect us to know thousands of models"

  6. #6Ken843B2017-07-04 14:31

    So true about the doctors.