I just re built the bd154 in this machine and now i'm having trouble putting it in. If i drop the converter into place i can't bolt it up. The bolts come from the back and there is no inspection plate to work through. Do i need to bolt the converter to the flex first and than try to line up the splines? I tried that once and am having the output shaft on the converter welded as we broke one tip off. Any suggestion will be greatly appreciated. If the weld doesn't work anyone know where i can buy a converter for it??
I wouldn't use a convertor that had the tip welded. What if it breaks off in service ? You can purchase a rebuilt one here for a reasonable price. I have purchased parts from them myself. http://www.joseph.com/
The flex plate and convertor are bolted to the flywheel before attempting the engine re-installation. Although the tractors are not the exact same the engine/ torque convertor mating / installation is the same. Be sure to use the studs or cut off bolts to align the shuttle and engine. DO NOT force the the two together. That is most likely what broke one of the convertor tabs off. Sometimes you get lucky and the convertor tabs will slide right into the shuttle , sometimes it takes a while to get the two to go together. Believe me, when they are lined up properly the two will slide together effortlessly. Here is a copy from my service manual.