The 1973 580 B I just bought came with no operators manual so I am wondering if I was told right about the lubrication fluids. There is nothing I've found in the 3 parts manuals I was given. Searching here and around the web has proved confusing. I don't have a Case dealer anywhere within a hundred miles so I maybe forced to Wally or the local Ace Hardhead. power steering -- any multi wt motor oil shuttle case (torque tube) -- 85w140 gear oil transmission -- 85w140 gear oil engine (diesel) -- ? using delo 400 in my truck hydraulic -- ? I have some napa tractor hydraulic for the tractor. Thanks
I use Shell Rotella T 30wt in my engine (diesel), AW46 Hydraulic oil in my hydraulics, 80/90 gear lube in the transmission / rear end, and Tractor Hydraulic Fluid (I get it from car quest, cant remember the weight) for the steering and shuttle. Really you can use any type of hydraulic fluid in the latter two as long as it meets "Case TCH Fluid" or "JIC-145". Been using it for years and no problems. I WOULD NOT USE gear oil in the torque tube!!! Otherwise it won't move unless the oil is hotter than hell and damnation. Attached is a picture right out of my service manual. .
Hey Wi4x4 thanks. I thought there was something funny about the 85w140 in the torque tube. Jamby
Yeah, that is a bit heavy. In the winter I always need to put her in neutral and then run the shuttle in forward for about 5 minutes or more (depending on how cold it is, takes about a half hour when it is -40*F out like normal here in northern Wisconsin) to get the fluid flowing good. I can't imagine how hot you would need to get it if you used gear oil... Good Lord!