Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Case 580B – early vs later models

jhoncho4x4 ยท 2013-10-03 03:56

I have narrowed my backhoe search down to the model Case 580B. The 580B is the newest model I could find in my price range that is light enough for me to be able to haul on my 14,000 pound GN trailer and tow behind my Super Duty diesel, 11,000 pounds in heaviest configuration. I was originally considering the 530CK and the 580CK until I found the 580B. I understand the 580C is a much more improved model over the B but it is just too heavy. I am currently looking at two of them. The first one I assume is an early model since the sheet metal is yellow and the chassis / wheels is the Case orange color like the older 580CK. The description in the ad states "case 580b construction king new diesel motor has 200 hours $6,000.00 excellent tires" From the pics in the ad it obviously has the extenda boom which is nice. I believe I can see a repair to the front loader at the usual cracking spot. The second one I am looking at I am assuming is a later model due to paint and decals. It has the cab which is nice but no extenda boom. The description in the ad states "Case 580B Backhoe. Fully Operational, front and rear hydraulics work good, no major leaks. Older machine" price is $6,800.00 and appears to be located on a farm from the background in the pics. Hour meter reads 5475 in one of the pics. Both models appear to have the 4 speed transmission with fwd / rev shuttle. So my question is, is there there a difference in design between the early and later models that make one more desirable over the other as far as reliability or ease of repair?

Replies3
  1. #1Tinkerer2013-10-03 07:49

    I can't comment on the mechanical differences, but if I lived in Ohio the one with the enclosed cab would be my choice. Not only because of the operator comfort but the protection the dash components have.

  2. #2wi4x4man2013-10-03 10:15

    I have a 580B like the one in the bottom picture, and aside from a broken ring gear in the rear end that I am in the process of repairing, it has been one tough machine and always reliable. While the extendaboom would be nice to have sometimes, I wouldn't make that my judgment factor. That cab is nice to have, and up here in Northern Wisconsin, where there are nothing but trees (and lots of snow) having that enclosed cab to keep junk from coming in at you is nice. Make sure you drive it and check it out thoroughly though. When it is warmed up, if you cannot get any forward or reverse motion in 4th gear without really pouring the coals to her, the shuttle is likely starting to deteriorate. Check all of the fluids too. None should be milky. If you have any milky fluid in the shuttle section, don't get either or you risk changing the shuttle clutch packs out. But for that price, it might still be worth it.

  3. #3mitch5042013-10-03 11:04

    I didn't think there was much to an extendahoe either, until I bought a 580sk at auction 10 or 12 years ago with one. Now, I'd just as soon get it without steering as without the extendahoe.