Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1973 Ford 3400 lift

charles walton ยท 2015-05-28 09:27

I have an old 73 3400 that the lift wont go all the way up,I put the amount of oil that the manual called for and no change,should I fill the compartment up or what? The manual also doesn't tell the viscocity of oil to use it has some ford numbers I'm not familiar with.Can someone help with this?Thanks

Replies8
  1. #1lantraxco2015-05-28 11:52

    Are we talking about the three point hitch, or a loader, or?

  2. #2charles walton2015-05-28 13:42

    Yessir,the 3-point lift

  3. #3lantraxco2015-05-28 13:56

    Is it stuttering like it's pulling air, or does it just stop cleanly? Sorry, I don't know what oil that one takes....

  4. #4sheepfoot2015-05-28 19:49

    The check plug is behind the parking brake tee handle. Seems like around 6 gal.. You may have had the slide stop to move down on your lift lever causing it to not fully go into the raised position, sway chains or links not letting it raise all the way up also. I think the oil is checked with the lift all the way up and oil in the plug hole, we used a good 303 oil, TCH oil case, hy-tran IH, hy-guard deere in ours years ago. You should have dry drum brakes on that machine and the trans holds between 6-13 qt in the other case with a check plug again on the same side and about middle way of the foot floor board.

  5. #5charles walton2015-05-29 09:52

    Are those hydraulic oils?

  6. #6charles walton2015-05-30 13:42

    The 303 oil,is that like a 10 wt hydraulic oil or something heavier?I'm not familiar with the oils you mentioned.

  7. #7Delmer2015-05-30 14:16

    Those are all universal tractor fluids, made for tractors with a combined transmission and hydraulic system. The 303 oil is the original when tractors first started needing a fluid like this. Hy Tran is a Case IH product and Hy guard is a John Deere product, both are the best available for combined transmission/hydraulic systems with wet clutches or brakes. Really not much different than 10w hydraulic oil, unless you need it for a newer transmission.

  8. #8charles walton2015-06-26 12:07

    It goes part way up then it shudders a little and stops.