Does anyone here have any experience with Case 3394 powershift transmissions? The owner was plowing when he heard a pop of some sort and the transmission quit pulling. The hydraulics still work as they are driven right behind the flywheel. I split it today (5-25) thinking a torque dampener disc center had sheared the rivets as I have seen on other brands before but no such luck. The input shaft has rolling resistance and is turning the first planetary set. I found a manual on eBay for $300 but I'm unsure about how to roll it into the repair bill as it is likely the only one around that I'll work on. I"ll buy it if I have to though. It is some different than the older 2000 series and maybe someone has seen a catastrophic failure before. It barely will rock itself on flat ground.
I just dropped the front wheel assist drive unit and found linings on one of the clutch pack friction discs gone, so now its pull the center out and go through the clutch pack. I ordered a manual as this will be too extensive to wing it. If anyone is interested in the project, I'll update what I find.
For sure let us know... I don't get into the Ag stuff much, but always interested in a repair project I haven't done before!
The 70 and 90 series tractors were famous for a particular failure. It's been about 15 years since I was involved in the particular failure but I do know this. Unless they changed, when those tractors were clutched (inching pedal) when you looked at the transmission hydraulic schematic, you would notice that ALL transmission lube oil was dumped, meaning that trans was starved for lube. On a baler tractor, with frequent starts and stops, continuous clutching, the trans was doomed, not always but frequently. There were always the exceptions. Right now I can't remember the exact hard parts that failed. Is this unit subjected to this type of work? Frequent starts stops with lots of clutching at high temps? If so you should find some hard part damage would be my guess.
Z2989 Yes, the tractor does run a baler some. Mostly it runs a grass sprigger with several hydraulic motors on it. Had to mount a forced air cooler on it for his Case 7250 not to run hot. It burned out the only discs in it with fiber lining on them. Haven't identified them yet but they are much larger in diameter than the others.
The 23/2590/94 model tractors all let the granny's goe after a while. The magnums are suffering Tranny problems too, the fiber coming off the clutches from the oil. I drove the first magnum sold in this county. They couldn't take the heat without running hot. Turning a 7140 up to 225 HP cured it. Every 7140 around here was pulling 225 to 245 horsepower when the 7150 came out. They never made that big of a splash