Newbie to equipment here. I've got an old 1974 Bobcat M970 that I purchased not long ago at an auction. It runs and works great. I'd like to check my hydraulic fluid, but there's no dipstick that I can find and the decals and manual aren't much help either. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I have some suspicions that I might have to just open plugs on the side and add if there is no level there... But I'm reluctant to do that w/o someone who knows verifying. Thanks for your help! Here are a couple pics: .
Wow, thanks for the flashback.... it's been thirty years since I worked on a "Big Bob". Sorry I can't access the memory banks on that one. Don't quote me but I think the plugs on the sides are just for the chain case lube levels. Your manual should tell you where to check all the fluids really. As I recall there is a pump splitter gearcase between the engine and pumps that has gear oil in it also? One alchohol soaked brain cell is telling me the hydraulic fill was inside the rear engine door, but it could just be a thirty year old hallucination. I'm sure someone with more recent exposure will chime in soon!
apparently i'm having the same hallucination...:idea i cant remember either... :beatsme :drinkup
I have it on good authority that you're right about the plugs on the side. The guy I talked to said that the hydraulic fill would be under the operator cab. I looked in the manual, and there is supposed to be a hydraulic assist for that. There doesn't seem to be. I'm guessing I'll have to tip the cab with ratchet straps and come-alongs or something. Any suggestions/tips?
I do seem to remember an electric hydraulic setup on these, but again it's just been too long. There should be two bolts at the back corners you take out? Hopefuly if it was hydraulic they left the cylinder(s) attached so it stops at the end of stroke, otherwise as you pull it over center it will come down forward with a vengeance. Comealong should work, if it doesn't want to tip the hydraulics may be there somewhere and still hooked up? I have a hard time believing the hydraulic fill/check is under the cab, but they did some strange stuff on those early skid steers.