Split machine apart last year new ring gear all went well time to get these brakes 100percent I have plenty of pedal installed new outer linings still won't stop like I want it does the drum common to go bad 600 for everything any advice
Case seems like they would have built this to stop on a dime I must be missing simthing I don't think even a small leak from the seal would cause me to have nothing. Brakes tinkerer any thoughts
How far do the pedals go down ? Are they even with each other when they are depressed ? Do you have the service manual for it ?
I have the service manual the pedals go down together hard as a rock only go down inch at the most
I have service manual pedals go down together hard as a rock only go down a inch at the most barely slows the machine down
Actually pedals go down individually unless pressing the clutch side the other two are seperate
That is how they were designed to work. Applying one pedal will help to turn. Can you describe how effective the brakes are ? They should be capable of stopping your 580 in a short distance unless you are going balls out in high gear.
Actually today I fired her up and operated it some notice the left pedal would slow down machine right one did nothing and both together was close to nothing getting ready to throw some money at it if I could stop Icould do so much more safely
I guess my main concern is putting in new drums because I don't have the equipment to rivet them and also what else could trigger this problem besides bad seal I had noticed before 3 ball bearings and disks on the side can these go bad
Meaning putting in new drums and realizing that want the problem last time I looked at them its not like they were worn out bad like brakes I have seenIwouldnt I here metal on metal if they were bad
Sounds like you will have to take the brakes apart and find what the problem is with them. If the actuators are working like they should, you will find either worn out brake linings or grease on the drums or a combination of both.
I'm not sure if you are already aware that a bad seal may be the problem or if you are discounting it. That's a common problem on these and is likely your problem, too, unless you know otherwise.
if this is like some other tractors that have the brakes on the bull pinion, they do not tolerate any oil. if it has a combination of disc and drum, one will likely be the park brake and one will likely be the service brake. my best guess would be that the ball-actuated disc type would be the service brakes and the shoes would be the park brakes. sometimes if they are not worn out and only oil-soaked, they can be cleaned with brakleen and then heated with a torch to bake the oil out(but not too hot) do not inhale the fumes-they are nasty. this is not a dealer-approved method lol , but can work on old equipment.
I forgot- I assume we are talking about dry brakes
supposed to be dry - if the seals are good... I'm not positive but I don't think the brakes are separate for the park and service. I think it's the same braking parts for both and more like the drum and disc work in combination. If i'm correct, pressure and friction from the shoes causes the disc/drum to expand against inner and outer rotor type surfaces - if it's the same as the CK. It's just a guess as my parking brake consists of lowering a stabilizer and the service brakes are the flintstone type - and I don't have a "B" so take it with a grain of salt.
From the service manual.
“B” brakes are dry, parking brake is a cable affair that applies the right hand brake or both if the pedal lock is engaged.
now I see how that works. that is an unusual setup but hey, as long as it works
"works" is a relative term. Does anyone have a 580 with impressive braking ability? - lowering the bucket doesn't count.
Sorry I'm jumping in but working off my first post for being a newbie. I was hoping brakeclean was an option for drying the pads on the drums. 1st backhoe and will have a bunch of questions since its sort of a basket case
Brakeklean will get the surface oil off but the lining is porous and they are likely saturated so cleaning just the surface oil off won't help much. Some have said that baking them will remove the oil and I don't doubt that but have never tried it myself. If you have an old gas grille you could try it outside because if you do it in the kitchen, you may be living outside.
I would take the drums apart and soak them in mineral spirits to help dry oil and then spray with brake clean. Also use a wire brush to rough them up afterwards.