Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1974 case 580b pinion gear

nicholasj · 2018-04-11 10:25

How do u get to nuts inside case from torque tube to final drive

Replies19
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2018-04-13 14:48

    Is this a mechanical shuttle or a power shuttle machine?

  2. #2nicholasj2018-04-13 14:50

    Power shuttle Im kinda new this is my first machine

  3. #3Coy Lancaster2018-04-13 15:21

    Ok the cover that has the dipstick in it has to come off then there are two nuts toward the back of the opening at top of housing they are 7/8 socket size.

  4. #4nicholasj2018-04-13 16:12

    Thanks for helping me man got them off realized other nuts were for a hub that actually contains the pinion bearing and nut gonna try to split this thing how much force you think it will take

  5. #5nicholasj2018-04-13 16:59

    Doing this outside at the job had hoe off tried putting a come along to that to the back axles didn't budge should I try jerking it with my truck

  6. #6Coy Lancaster2018-04-14 09:43

    Support front with bottle jack and rear with floor jack you may have to play with tension on jacks to get level. Shouldn’t be that much force needed to split. Did you remove loader frame bolts that go through axle housing? And be sure you support loader frame with jack stands or blocks.

  7. #7nicholasj2018-04-14 09:49

    Everything you mentioned supported I may have to much jack pressure on motor I left a couple of the bolts in axle I thought they might help guide it steady but maybe there binding heading out now to get back at it

  8. #8Coy Lancaster2018-04-14 10:04

    You need to go ahead and remove those bolts because loader frame will have tension on them. Also the backhoe mounting brackets have to come off. It’s been awhile sense I’ve split one so all these thoughts are coming back to me at random.

  9. #9nicholasj2018-04-14 10:09
  10. #10nicholasj2018-04-14 10:13

    Thanks for the help man I have the backhoe brackets off im gonna build a more level surface for my floorjack and see what happens oh this roll bar cage thing is a pain to get off I released the front bolts im hoping it will roll back with it on easy enough

  11. #11Coy Lancaster2018-04-14 10:34

    Yeah the ROPS is a pain we always removed them. You will need to remove the difflock box on right brake housing and pry loader frame out to pass a tip that sticks out on brake housing.

  12. #12nicholasj2018-04-14 16:06

    Got the case to split went well now its binding up at like 1 half inches

  13. #13nicholasj2018-04-16 08:38

    I have tractor split weathers been ruff here in western NY anyway figured id get some gaskets ordered what stinks is o can't exactly remember how many shims were on carrier and idk how to test backlash

  14. #14Tinkerer2018-04-16 09:48
  15. #15nicholasj2018-04-16 11:47

    Thanks man problem is I tried to repair this prior and during disassembling my helper mixed all the shims up I was hoping someone new what the original specs were for thers I think its like [email protected] and one .005 on each side

  16. #16nicholasj2018-04-18 08:15

    Hey guys projects going well so far pinions in gonna go try and get torque tube gasket and others plus shims today I have metal chunks and stuff in bottom of case guy told me rinse out with diesel fuel is that good idea?

  17. #17Tinkerer2018-04-18 08:32

    Yes, on the diesel wash. A 2 gallon pump up garden sprayer is ideal for washing everything down.

  18. #18Coy Lancaster2018-04-18 12:23

    Kerosene would be better sense it dries cleaner but diesel works just fine.

  19. #19Coy Lancaster2018-04-18 12:24

    Kerosene would be better sense it dries cleaner but diesel works just fine.