Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1974 Case 580B trans issue

Joseph DiMassi ยท 2021-11-21 19:14

Have had issues with the transmission since I got it previous owner said if you pulled into a pile it would neutral out I have read through some issues others on the forum have had i have a transmission guage that reads psi and it was between 120-140 I shimmed the regulator and got it to180psi the spring was a little collapsed which is why I shimmed it In 1st gear and the shuttle in reverse against say a tree the tires will spin When in 1st and shuttle in forward it slips like a car transmission until I let off the throttle and then it grabs again but will not spin the tires but I can feel it grabbed Last year i topped the transmission off with hyd oil and a new filter up front , 2 weeks ago I put a gallon of atf in and it only helped the cold engagement Tonight I drained it all out and pulled the filter filter looks a little dirty but nothing jumped out I'm thinking of drilling out the case for the pump screen plug cleaning port i read on here but if that was the case wouldn't reverse act the same as forward Only other issue I can see with this machine is leaking injector pump from shaft seals drips and hydraulics a little weak , outriggers won't lift the machine , I haven't checked or have the equipment to check the adjustment for the regulator on the loader valve , loader is strong and works well , leads me to maybe o rings on power beyond plug? Also to note I have used this machine for a few projects here already and it's payed for itself ,the hoe does dig strong and really no issues to speak of think its a regulator bypass issue being the loader is strong The transmission has me concerned and ready to move the machine on if it's not a feasible repair I also adjusted the shuttle clutch dump linkage and verified the forward reverse valve was fully going into each selection Thanks for reading my ramble any advice greatly appreciated Joe

Replies13
  1. #1Tinkerer2021-11-21 22:55

    Welcome to HEF, Joseph ! Be patient one of the pros will eventually see this and help you with the transmission. Will the stabilizers stay in the up position ? Or do they slowly drift down. The cylinders may need resealing.

  2. #2Joseph DiMassi2021-11-21 22:59

    Only 1 stabilize cylinder drifts down overnight depending which way its parked if I park that side uphill it stays up

  3. #3Tinkerer2021-11-22 09:41

    That stabilizer will never support the hoe until it is resealed. I would reseal both cylinders and see if that cures the problem with them. If it does not, then possibly in the control valve body the section for that circuit also needs to be repaired. A worn spool or a crack in the body of the section is possible.

  4. #4Joseph DiMassi2021-11-22 09:52

    I figured as much I do have to drain and flush the hydraulic system including filter , I just need to get my facts together on this transmission before I go any further money wise with this machine. I think I'll know more maybe tonight after I finish up the transmission flush and filter

  5. #5Joseph DiMassi2021-11-24 06:36

    I drilled a hole per the pictures in here in the torque tube directly under the shuttle pump oil pickup , like others bits of black coffee ground type material and a few hunks of clear rtv I used starting fluid and a bendable bottle brush to clean the pickup and flush things out It drilled real easy and you have to be careful Hope today to get oil in it and test will update with results

  6. #6Joseph DiMassi2021-11-24 17:30

    No real big noticeable change ,still works better in reverse then forward , lines going to filter seem to be making a lot more noise then before , noise goes away when clutch dump valve pushed in Not too sure what is next I think I've done all I'm willing to do I'm gonna use it as much as it will let me and come spring blow it a kiss and move on

  7. #7Coy Lancaster2021-11-24 17:49

    What type of oil are you using for the shuttle? Is the pressure the same in forward and reverse? The noise in the cooler/filter lines could mean the pump is cavitating from wrong oil or low oil. You may have a forward clutch that has a bad piston seal.

  8. #8Joseph DiMassi2021-11-24 18:13

    Pressure is the same both forward and reverse near 180psi , reverse works a lot better than forward Tractor supply universal transmission hytran equivalent is the fluid that was suggested

  9. #9Dave Neubert2021-11-24 19:12

    Sounds like your forward clutches are wore out if you have pressure and it is slipping

  10. #10Joseph DiMassi2021-11-24 19:18

    Yea it kind of just goes into neutral while trying to push any type of weight on front . Reverse is good and will dig in and spin tire, forward slips then I can let off throttle and I can feel it grab again and same thing repeats

  11. #11Coy Lancaster2021-11-28 11:15

    Okay pull the cover off the shuttle and see if there is a shuttle valve on the piston housings. If so this is a twin disc shuttle, and these are dump valves and the one for the forward clutch is probably stuck. If you don't find the dump valves then more than likely your forward piston seal is leaking,

  12. #12Joseph DiMassi2021-12-14 18:58

    I've run the thing few hours and it didn't seem to get any better ....in my frustration trying to get the thing moving forward with a load on... I angrily started banging the clutch dump pedal violently with my boot on half throttle and the freaking thing like banged and started driving forward Piece of trash in dump valve? Coincidence? I didn't touch the pedal after and am hoping it's in the adjustment although I did adjust it to 3.01 I think was the measurement I read on here Maybe slack worn in the thing and needs to be fine tuned I'm not sure Figured I'd update

  13. #13Tinkerer2021-12-14 21:57

    You can download the service manual for free here ----> https://www.minnpar.com/manuals5.as...LS&SSSFName=CASE 580CK MODEL B SERVICE MANUAL