Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1974 case 580b transmission fluid help and shifting

Notch8 · 2023-09-08 22:49

Hey guys have a 74 case 580 b cannot seem to get the right answer on what actual fluid to use in transmission box, there’s no trans filter in front of rad . Has 4 spd with high low seems I have 4x2 in reverse also . case parts guy says use hytrans in it others say 80w90 gl5 . I have a few liters of 80w90 gl4 from an older mini truck that requires gl4 for the bronze synchros in it , haven’t drained fluid yet in it to see if it’s gear oil or not . Keep getting mixed suggestions on what to use I was just going to drain it and fill it with UTF which meets case ,hytrans ,and 80w90 specifications . I run klondike UTF in every box on my JD 450c with no issues . any advice apreaciated thank u . Also how the hell do u shift without mashing gears in this thing ?. I read u can shift from 3,rd to 4th on the fly and vice versa but not 1-3 . I drove down the road yesterday and started out in 3rd high range and it was kind of slow went to 4th and it was like a horse that just got kicked in the ass. Was kind of sketchy the difference , is this normal on this machine?

Replies26
  1. #1Tinkerer2023-09-09 07:40

    FWIW. From the service manual. Were you able to download it ??

  2. #2Coy Lancaster2023-09-09 07:57

    Which dipstick are you checking, is it the one under the operators seat or the one under the steering column?

  3. #3Notch82023-09-09 16:19

    Only have checked one under seat which is diff and seems like gear oil in it haven’t opened other big plug below steering column yet there’s a pipe fitting and a vent that screws into a reducer next to it only so far have cleaned the vent but haven’t pulled the trans stick yet

  4. #4Notch82023-09-09 21:25

    Yes I did much appreciated, thank you.

  5. #5Notch82023-09-09 22:32

    Trans and diff show 16.1 liters are they a common sump or separate , what’s just the trans capacity?

  6. #6Notch82023-09-10 19:28
  7. #7Notch82023-09-10 19:43

    I pulled the dipstick today nothing on the rod, cracked drain plug and captured a ounce of water followed by thick heavy gear oil the oil is a dark brown golden molasses looking gear oil seems heavier than a 90w oil , stinks sort of like gear oil , I had some 80w90 gl4 kicking around and added 4 liters until it registered on dipstick, I’m going to drain the oil and put fresh oil . I plan on running tractor year round . Would a 75w90 or 85w90 be sufficient .And am I safe to use a 75w90 gl5 ?. I had the gl4 which was hard to get ,for another project that said not to use gl5 because It has brass and bronze internals and gl5 wasn’t recommended. Do these old tractors have any yellow metals in their internals? And second question is what’s the proper procedure for checking the level machine running dipstick threaded all the way in or machine off or at the mark on rod with the plug just started on the threads . Whatever the oil is in it with the fall weather approaching the machine lugs rate down after letting the clutch out on start up until the gear oil has warmed up . Couldn’t imagine running this machine at -20 c the way it is now .

  8. #8Notch82023-10-12 08:52

    The oil question , the thread that has been beat to death in this forum and online , yet I still cannot seem to find the right answer. So I drained both the gear box and rear diff last nite , got almost a pail of brown colored sap out of the trans . And then drained rear housing it was a pail of grey melted milkshake, foamy fluid . Assuming that’s original ep90 with water mixed in it. The chart shows 16 liters for The trans and diff , is that total or is that for each box , as. I drained almost 16 L out of just the gear box. What is the capacity of the rear diff housing ?. I only bought one pail of oil it was 130$. Shell spirax s4 ax high performance axle and diff oil 80w90 , the no name certified 80w90 was 126.00 $ . I’m going to fill the gear box first then see what is left over, and pour it in the diff, am I going to be short on oil or is one pail enough for the two housings?. Thanks guys. The service manual does not really help .

  9. #9Coy Lancaster2023-10-15 22:10

    What are you calling the gear box? The transaxle for the four speed and diff which are under the seat take 80W90. The shuttle takes hyd. oil there is a dipstick in front of the four speed shifter for that fill.

  10. #10Tinkerer2023-10-16 08:53

    If there was water intrusion in either compartment it would increase the amount of fluid you drained out. After draining anything refill it until the oil level is at the full mark. On the dipstick or a pipe plug that has to be removed.

  11. #11Notch82023-10-17 06:32

    Only two plugs with dipsticks one beside shifter and one behind it slightly offset towards sestpost but definitely not under it . mechanical shutter no other drain or fill plugs both took 16 liters of 80w90 rear oil was a bit foamy and grey milkshake so had some water. I called the transmission the gearbox as it has a shifter and a bell housing and a clutch in it? The fluid I drained from the “gearbox” or front plug was thicker than 80w90 more like 85w140 or something stunk like hell and doesn’t burn very good in a fire.

  12. #12Oldhoeman2023-10-20 22:11

    Does anyone know how all the water gets into the shuttle and diff? Is there anything that can be done to stop this from happening. Thanks

  13. #13Tinkerer2023-10-21 07:37

    If you don't have a cab on the tractor, a defective rubber boot on the gear shift lever will let a lot of rain water get in it. Oil in buckets may have had water in them. It happens sometimes.

  14. #14Coy Lancaster2023-10-22 06:40

    The dipstick beside the shifter is for the forward and reverse shuttle, it takes hyd. oil. The dipstick by the seat post is for the four speed trans and diff, it takes gear oil.

  15. #15Notch82023-10-22 08:09

    Interesting because the fluid I drained from the middle of the case bottom between bell housing and end of trans only one plug oil that came out of it was thick as corn syrup and looked and smelt original . The back plug on diff housing had milky gear oil but gear oil . The trans shifts better now and when I start machine and let clutch out it doesn’t bog down at all . But you’re saying that there should be hydraulic fluid in there . Even if it’s a mechanical shuttle shift machine ? I’ll send pics of plugs and top of trans box . All that’s on top of trans is a big steel plate bolted to case , below fuel tank , no other plugs or anything else. I’ll try to post some pics later on thanks .

  16. #16Notch82023-10-25 14:56

    I’m on the fence about dumping the oil in there .? One guy says one thing one case dealer says another one forum says one thing and so on. I drained two plugs forward plug was thick gear oil like 85w140 an other near diff was probably watery ep90 . If the plug near the gear shifter next to a vent takes TCH I’ll change it out . The books and service manual don’t really break it down . All I know is I have a manual shuttle 4spd with range select and a forward reverse lever on the steering column. Only two drain plugs under machine one rate in middle of trans . One is further back user below break assy cases . Just want the right oil in it .

  17. #17Coy Lancaster2023-10-25 16:09

    I understand your confusion here is a photo from parts book. Item 56 is the dipstick of course and item 35 is the range shifter so TCH goes in there where dipstick goes.

  18. #18Notch82023-10-25 21:04

    I’m almost positive but until I go out tomm and look again and triple check the cast plate that the range shifter is cast into does not have any plugs or vents the only plug is back towards back of tractor behind gear shifter and one by seat post nothing near the range shifter or under the plate under the steering column.

  19. #19Notch82023-10-25 21:05

    What manual and page is that pic from its too blurry ro zoom in but would like to see that pic in the parts manual , appreciate the help thanks

  20. #20Coy Lancaster2023-10-25 21:15

    Up load a photo of your cover please.

  21. #21Notch82023-10-25 21:44

    I will when I’m out there tomm morn , I found the page in the parts book , I guess my confusion is is what is called the torque tube , the pic shows item 1 as the tube to me it’s a case with a bell housing that supports a clutch and a shifter so I’ve been calling that the trans or gear box but essentially it’s a case that’s called a tube? As for the plate on it I will indeed take some pics tomm when I’m out there and verify if I’m missing something.

  22. #22Coy Lancaster2023-10-25 21:56

    That is what they call the torque tube as it is a tube (case) from the engine to the transaxle.

  23. #23Notch82023-10-25 22:17

    Yes following u now ,then another compartment with the shuttle gears attached to it behind it . What feeds the shuttle gears the 80w90 or the tch from the tube ? Guess the 2 drain plugs that I have an fill plugs is throwing me off , sn the fact that whatever original oil I drained from the tube was thick as molasses and definitely stunk like old mineral gear oil . Maybe I’ll run it tomm warm everything up drain the 80w90 from the tube in a clean pail set aside and dump a pail of utf by Klondike that I have into the tube and see what it’s like .?

  24. #24Glen Weldon2023-10-26 22:09

    Case TCH goes in the shuttle. This is the plug with a dipstick on it to the right and forward of the shifter. DO NOT put #46 hydraulic oil in it. Use Case TCH or equivalent. Napa sells a formulation the meets the specifications of TCH. I have an empty bucket next to my 580B that I'm currently working on. I will upload a picture of the type tomorrow. I would suggest that you drain the shuttle oil and replace it with the correct stuff. There are two plugs on the shuttle torque tube that are used to drain the shuttle casting. I believe the capacity is about 4 gallons. The rear plug, as others have said, is the differential/gearbox fill plug. It gets 80W-90. Drain plug is underneath, almost in line with the back edge of the seat. I've never replaced mine so I don't know the capacity of the gearbox/differential.

  25. #25Notch82023-10-27 02:24

    I drained and refilled the shuttle yesterday, there is only one drain plug on it at back of case. The fill plug and vent are indeed on the cast plate that houses the range select lever and direction lever as Coy showed me in the diagram. I had a pail of UTF by Klondike that I used in it . I use that stuff in all my hydraulics and in my JD 450c , seems to work well and I don’t have to stock a pile of different fluids. The machine isn’t any different feeling shifting or running with the thinner oil in the tube , but I’m sure at -20 c it will be. Next job is to replace the brakes and seals in there , only have left side and it locks up when I use it . Right side does nothing , adjusted everything to the book specs and brakes are still faulty . Thanks for all the help fellas.

  26. #26Oldhoeman2023-10-29 11:14

    Thanks for the reply. My 580B does have a cab and the glass/ rubber seals etc are all still in place. No puddles on the tops of anything. I guess I'll build a shelter and keep her out of the rain. Surprising how much water gets into all the drive train compartments, except the engine oil.