Hey guys, I've been having issues with my tractor...as always, but this time it's the transmission. So here's what it is doing. When the problem started I had the tractor running for quite some time, I put it in foward and it moved like it normally had, then when I put it in reverse it completely quit moving. And that's where it sat for a month or so with it being run every few days until I decided to start working on it and I got it moving. Here is what I did; I had to flush out the transmission fluid, which was very white and milky, and I flushed it out 3 times, changed the trans fluid filter the 2nd time,and the most effective when it was flushed out with diesel. The tractor moves right now and i've been using it a little but it is no where nears moving as well as it should be. I let the tractor warm up until 190 degrees and put it in gear, when I step on the throttle nothing happens for the first say 20 - 30 seconds until it finally engages. At this point I have the throttle tacked up far above it should be to be able to move the tractor. When it finally starts to move it kind of engages and moves a couples of inches then cuts out, does that again, and then it will start to move around pretty good. But all while having to be tacked up very high. Before the transmission bummed out on me it seemed it needed to be tacked up higher than I thought necessary but still moved good. I don't have much knowledge yet when it comes to tractor transmissions but I do know a good amount of vehicle transmission and I don't imagine they can be too awful different, here's my thoughts to the what the problem is. To my understanding there is, alot like a fuel pump on a car, a hydraulic transmission pump in the tranny that has a small screen that can get plugged up, decreasing fluid flow. The main seal on the tractor leaks, it's pretty bad now compared to when before the tractor stopped moving. I don't believe that the transmission is presserized???? The torque converter is no good or simply the tranny gears are gone Any help would be appreciated, I havent found anything online thats helped :Banghead And to clear up any questions. There are TWO drain plugs for the trans fluid, one just behind the bell housing and one almost directly underneath the shifter. The tractor has a four speed manual transmission and the foward and reverse shifter on the column, which I believe is a shuttle shift.
To "ME"... Sounds like the Friction Discs.... Kind of like a clutch disc... Sounds like it was slipping on you earlier... Which just makes it wear faster... Gotta Fly... PS Ooooops , I didn't read it all , I just noticed it's a Manual Tranny.... Forget what I said
in response to mudpile.. I get what you're saying on the foward drain plug, I got maybe a half gallon when I drained the front plug and 2+ on the rear plug. The 3 flushes I have done has always ended up with the fluid being milky, not as bad the previous flush, but I say enough to cause issues. This is a CK so the milky fluid is coming from torque converter, which if it can't be drained then maybe it'll need more flushes.. The leak I have is the main seal. It's where, i'm calling it the bell housing, bolts to the engine, the fluid that leaks out of it is trans fluid. I'll get some pic. I do have a working pressure gauge on the dash and when throttle it the gauge is in the green. I'm not familiar with what a shuttle vent is... And what bad gasket could it be underneath the dipstick?