Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1974 Ford 6000 dump truck airbrake and steering box question

born2ride ยท 2016-04-02 07:21

#1 I am not to familiar with air brakes, i found a leak from the compressor line where would one obtain parts to fix? i can hear the air escaping. is there a psi reading that the truck should build to within a certain amount of time? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRhtTd2kmkA #2 My question is i can see the worm gear coming up and down with rotation of steering . I have never saw this in the automotive field before. is there a fix ? or box replacement. i was also looking on internet , if box replacement is required will i have to retest poppet? i found casting number on box HF642990 ford# of D1HA 3N503 ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPgciEPZBV0

Replies7
  1. #1fast_st2016-04-02 07:32

    I'd clean that fitting and pull it apart, its been leaking for a while and might just need a new o-ring. As to the steering box, I don't see an adjustment nut on it, you may have to find a replacement box, Napa might help

  2. #2born2ride2016-04-02 07:57

    My napa says they do not do medium trucks. Some how i dont think they want too! My ford dealer laughs at me when i ask for parts with vin. is the o ring anything special?

  3. #3fast_st2016-04-02 08:14

    Oring should be just standard, take the fitting apart and see if its an oring or a cracked flare, that's the first step. You can see if you have any heavy/medium truck dealers around they may be able to help aim you in the right direction for the power steering gear. Its possible that someone might be able to rebuild it or that its a standard part used on other trucks.

  4. #4RZucker2016-04-02 10:05

    I think your steering box is fine. that in and out travel actuates the valve to control your power steering. Try that same test with the engine running and you should see a big difference.

  5. #5mitch5042016-04-02 11:37

    I don't think that's an o-ring fitting, it looks like a compression fitting. If so, it'll have a ferrule inside the nut, on the tube. It could be flared if it's the copper line off the compressor, but, I think it's compression. An o-ring would melt off of the compressor discharge line, and o-ring fittings are rare on air brakes. Take it apart, and any parts store or good hardware store should be able to match it up. My guess is, the copper line is cracked at the ferrule, you can get a new ferrule and shorten it if you have room. As far as finding parts, you need to find a Fleetpride, or TruckPro, or similar. If car parts stores have what you want, It'll be expensive. RZucker is right, that style of steering gearbox has to have movement there to move the control spool. Try it with engine running and see how much freeplay you have before the linkage responds. Good Luck, Mitch

  6. #6born2ride2016-04-02 12:35

    Thank You I will check that later tonight when i get home! i am curious to see how much play with it running, the truck is all over road and shakes. i know the king pins are worn

  7. #7born2ride2016-04-03 08:27

    I tested when i Got home there was not that much play , from what i could see that part was not really moving up and down like when truck was off! I am impressed with the turning radius. Holy cow very tight!!