Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1974 International 4370 front brake drum availability

dbs ยท 2013-04-26 19:42

I've been searching for these drums for a couple weeks. The best the dealer can do $900 each from some outfit in Chicago. They are a 5X15 drum budd style with 10 wheel stud holes. The old drum is beyond spec to turn. Any suggestions. Thanks, DBS

Replies6
  1. #1Markat4252013-04-28 12:58

    You might try these guys dbs,, I've had good luck with them .. http://www.power-brake.com/index.htm

  2. #2td25c2013-04-29 23:26

    900$ sounds pretty steep for a brake drum.We never did turn truck or trailer brake drums in fear that it would weaken them from removing the ridge.I take that the IH 4370 is a tractor? If so and was mine I might first try installing new shoes and see how it works assuming they would adjust up with the old drums. I think I remember you saying the truck had wedge brakes on it.Or I might look at removing the front brakes all together.My 1974 pete and 73 white tractors never had front brakes from the factory and they got the job done. Took longer to stop if you was "bobtailing" If memory serves me rite I dont think road tractors had to have front brakes until 1979.Best of luck with it dbs.

  3. #3dbs2013-05-01 23:31

    Thanks for the suggestion but they said they couldn't help either. It appears my only two options are replacing the whole axel or buying the drum. To also answer td25c, I'm only replacing the drum because the dealer said the truck wouldn't pass inspection. It is a converted tractor to dump. The rest of the truck seems to be in pretty good shape for it's age. The other brakes seem nearly new. The dust cover was missing on this front wheel and I think the truck was used off road and got dirt in the drum causing grooves in the drum. Thanks again for the suggestions.

  4. #4shopguy2013-05-02 06:20

    I Have a 4370 with a good axel for parts but it has spoke wheels .

  5. #5Markat4252013-05-03 06:26

    Okay,, there has to be a used one out there somewhere. Try these guys. http://www.candhtruck.com/

  6. #6Curbster2013-05-07 22:41

    Hey there, too bad you weren't closer. Maybe one of my spares would have fit, but not sure as these have juice brakes. I still get lots of parts from this co. in B.C. and they always find any needed parts. Co-Van_International_Trucks_Coquitlam_BC