Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1990 F800 ignition problems

rogermcentire ยท 2013-04-24 21:35

I just bought a 1990 F800 diesel dump, 6 cylinder turbo. When you turn the ignition key off, the truck continues to run. Anyone know what is wrong?

Replies5
  1. #1stumpjumper832013-04-24 21:37

    Fuel shut off solenoid? Cummins motor or what?

  2. #2grandpa2013-04-24 21:38

    Prolly the electric fuel shutoff on the engine,,,,, when you turn the switch off does it change the way the engine runs at all?

  3. #3rogermcentire2013-04-24 21:47

    Not sure if a Cummings. The truck wasn't used for over a year. I check/filled all the fluids, put in a fresh battery and it cranked right up. I wanted to let it run for 30-45 seconds then shut it off, but when I turned the key off, the instrument panel turned off (tach, gauges, warning lights, ect) but the engine kept running. I have no idea what the problem is.

  4. #4rogermcentire2013-04-24 21:52

    No, it does not change.

  5. #5excavator2013-04-24 22:41

    Probably a 7.8 liter Ford motor, the injection pump is on the right side of the motor. The fuel shutoff solenoid is a round coil with a rod coming out of it going down to the injection pump lever. There should be a 3 wire weatherpack connector about 6 inches from the solenoid. Disconnect that and it should shut off. More than likely a bad solenoid but check the power at the connector also.