I'm looking to buy a TD E 1974 for 9500.00 I checked it out and did not find anything that needed repair. Little leakage from two cylinders. Ether needed to help with starting. Motor is said to be rebuilt. Hours unknown. My concern is the torque converter. How do you check to see if it is in good working order? I don't know what it cost to rebuild a converter. If it needed rebuilding 9500 would be to much to pay for the dozer . i think Thanks
I have the same dozer td7e? I have replaced the complete undercarriage, rollers, chains and pads, sprockets and the idlers are 3 years old. About 5,000 hours. Engine and trans work well. For comparison I was told to list it at $16,500. Just fyi, do not know how you would test the convertor except to use it as designed in a test drive.
There is no way to tell 100% how good a TC is without being able to run it for a while. I’d get it as warm as possible and make sure it pulls itself good in each gear. Should spin tracks in 1st gear at a relatively low rpm when it’s hot. A quick way to get 1 warm fast is to put in high gear and hold brake and make TC stall till gauge in dash gets up in operating range. Torque converter that’s wore will work when it’s cold but will show signs of problems when hot.
Thank you for your replies.
Thank You