Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1975 Case 580B Refresh

gryyde84 ยท 2014-04-07 17:16

I picked this retired 580b from a local county. All I knew was their was water getting in the oil. It appeared to be used pretty good but complete. So I took a gamble and purchased it for scrap price. Since then I have rebuilt the engine and started repacking the cylinders one by one. This is my first piece of heavy equipment so I'm still learning as I go. The 580B has been split at some time in it's past for a engine rebuild. I noticed that it had a cranksaft ground .10 under. They didn't attempt to rewire anything back up so i'm sorting thru the harness trying to figure it out. I have to say that after reading all the shuttle problems that I'm lucky that mine appears to be ok. It moves or powers instantly upon starting. I think that the torque convertor could benefit from a lower stall. Does anyone make them? I haven't gotten to repairing the brakes so that will come later. I have put about 5hrs on the engine since rebuild. I have to say that this is the easiest starting diesel engine that I've seen all the way down to 20 degrees. And that's without any aid from glowplug or heater grid. I've really enjoyed my experience so far and look forward to receiving and providing assistance on this forum. Lord knows we all need it.

Replies0

No replies yet.