Hello I just purchased a 1975 White Western Star dump truck. Detroit 6-71 engine Road ranger 10 speed tranny I have a lot of questions: Where can I buy an operators manual and a service manual for it? Is there anyone here familiar with these trucks? The pump on the front of the truck/front bumper is the PTO correct? This is always running.. is it supposed to be shut off while driving or is it always running? I have attached a few pictures.. Thanks.. http://i316.photobucket.com/albums/mm327/boomvan666/newdumptruck.jpg http://i316.photobucket.com/albums/mm327/boomvan666/detroit.jpg http://i316.photobucket.com/albums/mm327/boomvan666/pump.jpg
dump truck Not sure, but it looks like a direct drive PTO, it runs all the time. Good luck on the service manual. Basically, you need to find a older mechanic, that is familiar with 6-71 engines. Probrably not many of them out there, I used to work on them, but thats an old story. They are good engines, but not much use for the oil leakers and excessive fuel burner, in todays world. Good site trucks, they will pull. You still can get parts for the engine, alot of them in service in stationary engines, marine engines, etc. Most of the parts for the truck, can be found used or a replacement upgrade from a truck dealer. Good Luck
Alright, thanks for the info. I work at a Detroit Diesel engine shop, so I'm good to go on the engine, but its the rest of the truck that I don't know about. A lot of the switches and controls on the dash dont work, and I would like to figure out what they are for.. hence a operators manual would be nice..
You might get lucky with the manual if you keep checking ebay every now and then. Alot of those swithches that dont do anything now might've been from things added to the truck over the years and maybe not there anymore, lights, spreader, plow, etc. See if you can trace the wires off the dash if there are any. Truck looks like it could have a lot of history, GOOD LUCK!
My IH dumptruck has the pump out in front of the grill behind the bumper. It runs all the time but is not under any load until the 12 volt power is turned on to the dump body controls. There is a solenoid that when energized stops the fluid from bypassing back into the tank and brings the hydraulic system up to pressure. tim
Hey still have? We have one but worn out looking for a parts truck We have a 1975 white western star. Just love any chance you still have yours and are willing to part with it