After starting the backhoe the steering wheel just spins, I found that the power steering pump filter was collapsed and the oil was very thick long over due for replacement the Machine hadn't started in a year due to fuel problem. After starting problem resolved now have steering problem, removed filter cleaned housing and pump put in new filter ran out of time to re service with new hyd. oil was wondering if fragments from filter could enter system and if I should break the line in the system and drain them prior to servicing with clean oil and if this is what caused my problem or if possible problem with Manual steering pump or steering control Valve.
I know steering systems can get tricky. A lot of lines going to/from the steering valve. I remember working on our C model, but I had the service manual to guide me. If the oil was that thick, there are a lot of small places where it could block up the system. Someone else with more recent experience might chime in.
Thank You I think I am going to, when weather permits remove lines and clean and check for obstruction or blockage in the system, and then check the Manual Pump on steering column as you should be able to turn wheels without the backhoe running, the steering wheel spins as if not connected to anything could be no oil getting to manual Pump? I have manual and have looked it over and Section 151 tells how the System works but no troubleshooting as to why its not working.
Welcome to HEF, Art ! You may have gotten a response before now if you had posted the question in the tractor/loader/backhoe section. Perhaps one of the mods will read this and move your thread there. Good luck and let us know what find out on your machine. Here is a link to a very similar problem like yours. HeavyEquipmentForums Are you sure you have the correct manual ? The 580CK steering section starts in Chapter 42.