I am so glad that FT4 engines are sooooo much easier to work on than the older stuff..........NOT ...Change the oil filter....I would if I could find the engine....This is a brand new Deere 331G CTL.
engine is that thingy behind the alternator, under the whole of the federally mandated stuff... If you do find the oil filter, let us know...
Well, I see that put the DEF pump out in the open. Cuz you know that's gonna fail about as often as some owners change their oil.
The following scenario I'm imagining at the moment: MG: "Well, I got your oil and filter changed and your ready to go! That will be $1238.96." Customer: "WHAT!? For an oil change?!" MG: "Yes. I had to remove the oil cooler, radiator, alternator and the exhaust system to get to the oil filter. That's ALOT of labor time." Customer: "That's ridiculous. Who in the hell would design something so stupid?! My 10 yr old grand daughter could have designed this better than that!" MG: "Stay right here. I'll grab an employment application for her." Again, this reminds me of the saying " I'm a mechanic/service tech because your honor roll student, who got an engineering degree, didn't design it right the first time."
Things like this are why I'm glade I was able to retire back in 2015! The last two new machines they got at the quarry were a 2011 773G haul truck and a 2012 980K loader. One day I was working with the local Cat serviceman while he was doing a recall on injectors and doing a valve set. Just reaching the timing bolt hole in the flywheel housing was a challenge! I had the honors of doing that as the service tech was built like an NFL linebacker, not sure he would have managed to get back out if he did get in there in the first place! And I have to wonder about why those injectors needed replacing at just over 2,000 hours?
Never saw a better application for a remote engine oil filter and oil drain hose....
At least on the newer Cat machines we had they came with Quick-Evac systems, name might be off a bit! On the 773G I recall one could stand behind right front tire and drain engine, transmission and hydraulic oils all without moving your feet. The oils were all pumped out by using the prelube pump for the engine and there was an air operated valve system that you just shot air to one system at a time to determine which was drained. Took a couple empty 55 gallon drums to hold all the oils. You had to drain the engine last to purge the other oils from the pump so that the engine oil was not contaminated when you prelubed the engine at start up. Changing filters and refilling systems did require some leg work as did pulling samples, but there were quick connects for all them.
It's not even remote mounted
Can you get at it from the belly pan?
lol I looked at one of these just a couple days ago in local dealers show room. it was sitting there with the hood open as i was snoopin one of of the guy`s asked if i was interested I just looked at him.
Drive it up on ramps and see if you can access it from the underside?
Looks like the fuel filter housing lifts up and out to gain oil filter access. And I thought my Takeuchis were 10 lb of **** in a 5 lb box
Believe it or not the filter can be reached without removing anything......messy but doable. I'll post a picture of the filter when I get a chance. Still LMAO!!! .....Thanks for making my day!
You reckon that's bad. I have a 2007 USA made machine that I needed a pry bar to get to the engine oil filter just to undo it. The new filter had to be wrapped in plastic when I pasted it through all the hydraulic pipes and hoses to be fitted. The dumb bastards who designed the machine didn't realize JD had a remote filter housing and when a sales rep from the factory saw that I had relocated the filter he had NO idea what I had done. What bloody hope is there in today's world?????????????????
There are good old machines on the market that you can see the motor in
There it is!
On the plus side (I think) is that it looks as if the engine oil drain is remote .
It looks so clean!! You can work on that and not wash up for dinner!
I predict, fairly soon a lot of business of rebuilding older equipment!
Its already going on here.