Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1976 case 580B, it drives forward an then acts like it’s in neutral

Yakima · 2022-07-24 22:59

Hello from central oregonsmall town of Prineville. I’ve had this backhoe for 25 plus years. Always runs good! 188 engine. I’ve kept the fluids changed over the years and replaced cylinder seals etc. It just started doing this: I warm it up. The trans pressure gauge is in the green. I start going forward and it will stop moving like the clutch is pushed it. It will then catch off and on so that you just can’t accomplish anything. I’ve cleaned and lubed the clutch linkage. Tightened the eccentric bolt after clocking it according to the manual. The clutch return spring was a little puny thing someone before me put on. I’ve replaced it with a decent one. It’s not too strong but now feels like it should like my old ford pickup clutch. Any clues to why it loses forward power? The shuttle spools look nice and clean and not leaking. Thank you!

Replies1
  1. #1Coy Lancaster2022-07-25 21:15

    Depending on which shuttle you have there are two different ones, Rockford and Twin Disc. The Twin Disc have declutch valves in the pistons so you might have a problem there. If you have the Rockford then I'd say the piston seal is weak.