Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Hydraulic Pump Seal Leaking

Bootheal · 2022-07-25 00:37

Back to a new leak on the 580M. Appears like the pump seal is leaking some - not pouring out yet. I’m going to assume it is from my pecking around on the coupler when replacing the fan belt (I was trying to be gentle). What are things to look out for on removing the pump? I have not done any reading on how to get the pump out. I plan to use it until oil loss becomes worse…hopefully it doesn’t cause a gusher. 22 years old with 4500 hours. Do I reseal existing pump or install a new one? If new, where would I look? Thanks for any and all ideas.

Replies15
  1. #1Tinkerer2022-07-25 11:53

    If the bearing on the pump input shaft is tight, a new seal is all it should need. It usually cheaper to replace the pump than replace the seal, input shaft and bearing in the old pump. When you remove the pump you may find that the coupler needs to be replaced.

  2. #2Bootheal2022-07-25 22:27

    I was wondering if this might be the time to replace the pump, even though it seems strong enough. Thanks.

  3. #3Tinkerer2022-07-26 12:08

    A new one will cost about $900.00. If you do change it be sure to prime it before ever starting the engine.

  4. #4Bootheal2022-07-27 14:55

    Tinkerer, where is a place you would trust to get a new pump?

  5. #5Tinkerer2022-07-27 20:11

    Dale Weiss. ----> http://e-backhoeparts.com/ He has treated me fairly for 20 years. If you call, his sister, Debbie may answer the phone. She is really good on knowing the parts business.

  6. #6Bootheal2022-07-27 20:53

    Awesome, thanks again.

  7. #7Bootheal2022-07-31 17:38

    Another short question! While the pump is being replaced, thinking of replacing the suction hose. I assume the oil reservoir will need to be drained. How is a good way to keep the oil from becoming contaminated? I can come up with enough 5 gallon oil buckets. Not sure if I need to somehow filter it going back in.

  8. #8Tinkerer2022-07-31 17:48

    I use a cut-off blue plastic barrel to catch the oil. After the oil sits a couple of days I dip the the oil out and run it through a paint strainer in a funnel and into 5 gal buckets. When I get close to the oil in the bottom of the barrel I stop and use that oil to start brush fires. A suck bucket is a better option tho. Suction hose can be bought from any hydraulic hose vendor. It has to be SAE 100R. Surplus Center is my favorite vendors. Very fast shipping. https://www.surpluscenter.com/Hydraulics/Hydraulic-Hose-and-Hose-Assemblies/Return-Suction-Hose/

  9. #91466IH2022-07-31 18:04

    Hosemate in cape will have suction hose for you. G&J ag should be able to repair your pump for you also. If they do not want to take on the job you can bring it up to me. I am about an hour north of you just north of the Chester bridge

  10. #10Bootheal2022-07-31 18:30

    Thanks to you both. 1466IH, I’m glad to know your location. I knew you were close by some comments to others. I have a new pump in transit. Just trying to get my ducks lined up. Not wanting to revisit this area of the backhoe after it’s back together for a good long time. I like Tinkerer’s filter idea. Have access to an oil filter used to clean fish frying oil. My buckets are clean on the inside but transferring back and forth allows for contamination. Not for the last couple of years, but did ride a lot around Chester. Worked there often in a previous life. Worked inside a cave not far from you, installing Refrigeration equipment. That was unusual. At that time, we just drive right in - not anymore! I need to look you up.

  11. #11Bootheal2022-07-31 18:41

    Just Googled G&J Ag. Had no idea and right in my backyard! Have used Hosemate a few times. Handy and always had the fittings.

  12. #121466IH2022-07-31 20:48

    I do mobile equipment repair and get to your area every couple months. Gill at hosemate is where I got my crimper and supplies. They have sent a few big cylinders up to me for rebuilds. G&J has a crimper and hoses supplied by hosemate. Probably a little closer for you if you need something done.

  13. #131466IH2022-07-31 20:53

    For future parts look up Schaefer Enterprises out of wolf lake Illinois.

  14. #14Bootheal2022-07-31 23:22

    I’ve gotten several pieces from Schaefer. I keep an eye on their lot. It’s hit or miss unless I’m after something recently broken! Got a few things from Chartrand, just below Red Bud.

  15. #151466IH2022-08-01 10:16

    Chartrand is about 7-8 minutes away from my house. I hear ya on the wolf lake stuff. Seems I'm always a day late but they help us out a lot with locating stuff they don't have.