Hi folks. I'm looking at a '76 John Deere 450cc that apparently has a problem with the shuttle. It runs but doesn't move except for the hydraulics. One fellow said that there was or might be water in the fluid. I seem to recall a few years back on this forum problems with the power shift shuttle on these, and I thought there was a mention that these were built for Deere in Italy. Before getting into something with parts availability issues I'd like to get a read from others. I have no problem with going through the shuttle as long as gaskets/seals and maybe hard parts are still available. The price is good enough to get my interest. Thanks, -Tom
Most likely the clutch adjustment. There is a clutch adjustment for the flywheel clutch and one for the transmission hydraulics. The hydraulic clutch adjustment dumps transmission pressure. The only way to know for sure would be to go through the adjustment procedure before purchasing. 450C was US Built. Clutch plates, discs and piston seals are still available. Hard parts like gears are not.
===================================================================================== Many thanks for the info. -Tom
The final auction price for the 450cc came out to be around $4800 plus premium and tax which was too high for me, given the uncertainties. Instead I got a Deere 820 JD2010 loader with (detached) backhoe for about $3200 out the door. I love the clamshell bucket design on the 820 too, particularly useful for dumping wet material at my mining operation. That machine has a separate post on the track loader forum. If i have to deal with dead iron I prefer it to be U.S. rather than foreign, especially after our two-year ordeal in getting our Link Belt LS-4300 CII back into operation! All in all, life is an adventure!