Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1976 drott 40 byr wheeled excavator

maddog ยท 2010-12-27 20:22

How deep could these dig? Are they a decent machine?

Replies6
  1. #1Willis Bushogin2010-12-27 20:36

    I have never owned a wheeled Drott, but I have owned 4 track Drott excavators. They were kinda alright machines, but there was always something wrong, but its a old school seup, so most of them were easy. There are still parts available, but hard to find

  2. #2bandit19702011-01-10 17:18

    I recently purchased a Drott yumbo excavator model # 30-yc ( serial # 429-D ) any information on this excavator

  3. #3Cletus2011-01-11 23:56

    Drott Fans Unite! I have not run the Cruzair Drotts on rubber but I have two friends that had them. They came from the state and bourogh road maintence. They don't dig very deep because they are a ditching machine mostly. One fella tried to make a log loader out of his but it did'nt have enough ass for it. I broke in on a Drott 40 (1976) model in 1978. They were the cats meow then! I've had a 1972 Drott 40 since 1983 and use it every summer. Another hobby machine.

  4. #4maddog2011-01-12 08:53

    thanks for the pictures. I passed on the drott just figured it wasn't what I needed

  5. #5spitzair2011-01-12 13:39

    That's a nice looking 40 there Cletus! Thanks for sharing!

  6. #6Taylortractornu2011-01-21 21:41

    I had a friend that had 2 of the 40 wheeled rigs. He had one jump out of gear rolling down a hill. I think the switch that the runs the 2 speed or transfer case got bumped. He left a purdy scratch in the blacktop. His grandad had a gravel pit and we loaded gravel for the county. He had an 80 that and it was a big machine with a mosre modern looking boom. It had a deep reach The 40s had a square and round boom mixed and didnt reach but about 8 feet below grade. The one I ran had foot and hand levers and the other one was a crude wobble stick. I was so hungry for excavator experience I loved running them. They both had a neat throttle set up. A foot accelerator for driving it down the road. When you dug you mashed the throttle where you wanted your rpm and then pushed a toggle. It had a solenoid that locked the throttle in. You could load some gravel with that wide smooth bucket when we had a D6 pushing it to us.