My 1976 Ford 6500 backhoe/loader makes a "clunk" noise when shifting from reverse to forqward or vise versa only after the machine is warm ~ 1hr of operation. It appears to be from the trasmission. I have replaced the trans fluid and filter and that did not help. Any Ideas... Thanks...
Next time you use it, start it, get one of the stabilizers out and get the back wheel off the ground. Shut it off. Grab the back wheel and see how far it will rotate clockwise and counter. That's the source of your clunk. It's the clearance built into the gear teeth, splines, and whatever else down there needs some clearance so it won't bind when hot. Why you notice it hot? The oil thins out, and isn't as good at filling those spaces. After you've got it hot, get the same wheel off the ground and do the rotation deal. Curious if it is the same...
Thanks so much for the info.... I will evaluate this weekend and reply....
The movement cold is ~1deg and the movement hot is definitly greater, 2 or 3 degs. Is there a type of fluid that can handle the high temps? Is this isssue going to destroy the transmission? Thanks...
Everything is OK, no need to do anything other than keep an eye on the fluid levels and normal maintenance.
Thanks again for you help.....
Won't start 76 backhoe Hi I have the same machine 1976 6500 backhoe recently I would start it, it would run 10 minutes and stall the last time I started it, it ran about a half hour and then bogged out now it does not start at all. have either one of you ever had an issue like this? It's getting fuel, cranking over nice.