Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1976 John Deere 550

45operator ยท 2022-12-22 00:27

Any one have info on these dozers,? Good, bad? What to look out for?

Replies3
  1. #1redneckracin2022-12-22 07:29

    Make sure you check the cross bar to frame bolts. They tend to break and do-gooders tend to weld things up. Parts were pretty available a few years ago when we line bored and bushed the push frame on ours. I really dislike the hydraulic filter underneath the seat. It really makes the swamp ass come alive after running it. I feel like an octopus running ours. I really wish it was pedal steer!

  2. #2Diesel Dave2022-12-22 11:20

    If at all possible, check the transmission operation and temperature when fully warmed up. That particular trans repair is a parts and labour pig !!

  3. #3Welder Dave2022-12-23 01:50

    Have heard the trans. is very costly if it needs repairs. Were a pretty good machine though. I ran a 555 loader with low hours about the same year when the neighbor dug a drainage canal for us. It was nice to run but had pedal steer.