Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Old Cat Dozer – Need help identifying specs

Randy Wilson · 2022-12-21 23:33

I literally don’t know anything about it so I’m hoping y’all can get me on the right track. Thanks in advance. 44A694 Track type tractor Plate on the back says 6B9904

Replies21
  1. #1epirbalex2022-12-21 23:58

    D6B , show us a photo of the dozer .

  2. #2Randy Wilson2022-12-22 12:28

    Hope these help.

  3. #3leadfarmer2022-12-22 12:41

    Start out by buying a parts book and an operator manual for a 44A D6 on ebay.

  4. #4Randy Wilson2022-12-22 13:18

    I have these. I’ve been working on this but just ain’t computer savvy to know the year, engine specs and stuff. I’m not even sure if these books are right. I’m also just starting to work on my own stuff so I don’t know anything either

  5. #5leadfarmer2022-12-22 13:43

    You just need to get the operator/maintenance manual for the 44A. It looks like a D333 engine but need more pictures to confirm.

  6. #6Randy Wilson2022-12-22 16:59

    I’ll try to get some better pics but I had this one too. Not sure it helps or not. Any idea what year it is by those numbers?

  7. #792U 34062022-12-22 17:02

    Cat doesn't really use model years. All info in Caterpillar land is based off the S/N.

  8. #8Mcrafty12022-12-22 17:13

    I think leadfarmer is correct, it looks like the D333a that is in my 68 D6C without the turbo.

  9. #9leadfarmer2022-12-22 17:17

    All I can tell you about the year, is that it was made before my 1963 D6B with the serial number 44A7564.

  10. #10Nige2022-12-22 17:47

    Why do people get so hung up about what year it is.? The only thing necessary in order to get parts & service information is the Serial Number and you already have that.

  11. #11Randy Wilson2022-12-22 20:29

    I’m curious, not hung up. Curious about everything on it. I need a rebuild kit for it. But I wouldn’t know how to get one. I’m trying to learn some stuff about it so I can get a kit if available and have the exact engine specs and part numbers.

  12. #12Randy Wilson2022-12-22 20:51

    Does mine have the same motor as yours? What motor exactly is that?

  13. #13leadfarmer2022-12-22 21:13

    Based on your pictures it looks like a D333. Google Caterpillar D333 and start reading or search on the forum to learn more about it. Did you look for a tag on the motor? You will have to identify the motor, can’t assume its original unless you’re the original owner.

  14. #14catman132022-12-22 21:41

    why do you need (I need a rebuild kit for it ) what shape are the rails and rollers and sprockets in, this helps to decide if the thing is wroth fixing

  15. #15Randy Wilson2022-12-22 22:51

    The undercarriage and tracks are at probably 90%. Very good tracks.

  16. #16Randy Wilson2022-12-22 22:55

    The tag on the motor is the one with the SSN. 44A684 is on I think.

  17. #1756wrench2022-12-23 00:54

    . Most insurance companies i have dealt with always want to know the year of a machine. They usually have no clue as to why the serial number may be more important than the year other than to positively identify a specific machine for legal reasons

  18. #18Welder Dave2022-12-23 02:17

    It's just nice to know how old it is. When someone asks if you have an old Cat you can say 1962 or whatever it is. Can help when selling machines too.

  19. #19mitch5042022-12-23 13:14

    I think it's mostly because cars and pickups go by year for everything, even mid year changes are called "early or late '99" or "99 and a half" rather than serial number breaks, except at the dealership level.

  20. #2056wrench2022-12-23 13:20

    Actually nowadays my 2 gm dealers want the year and the last 8 digits of the vin to look up parts

  21. #21Mcrafty12022-12-23 16:26

    I thought it was so when they hit 35 yo you could licence them as antique and the tags were only $15.00<