Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1977 Chevy C65 Dump

lynchpin ยท 2013-05-28 16:47

I'm looking for a power steering hose for this truck. I've tried all of the major auto stores as well as a Chevy dealer in my area that also deals with equipment. The dealer said the part is discontinued. I need the pressure side hose that goes from the pump to the gearbox. If I can't find said hose, would it be safe to flare out the two ends and replace just the hose with clamps? I'm not sure how much pressure this system produces. :beerchug

Replies6
  1. #1BlazinSS9342013-05-28 20:49

    Many hydraulic hose shops will be able to make a power steering hose. They can help you out

  2. #2Birken Vogt2013-05-28 23:03

    The system produces way too much pressure for that to work, at least that is the book answer, though I have seen stranger things hold up...but in this case if it breaks all your power steering fluid sprays out under high pressure all over the truck and road and possibly catching on fire. I wouln't like it. The easiest way would be to crimp new hose onto the old ends, but if that won't work because of bends in the pipe or whatever, you might also try junkyards and get a VIN off a truck that has a different PN of hose that might still be available and fit in your application, or have ends that are straighter and easier to crimp. Many different ways to go here.

  3. #3Tiny2013-05-29 21:50

    +2 on the hydraulic shop , Company had an old 72 7500 GMC . Made while I was there , Guessing 15 minutes . Average PSI on car/ pickups power steering is 2100

  4. #4lynchpin2013-05-30 14:06

    Thanks guys. I live out in the Country so it's difficult to find special services but I found a company in Greensboro that can change out the hose. I'll post a link for anyone in my area that may need help. Says he does all kinds of hoses from equipment to hotrods. http://www.alliancehtw.com/index.html

  5. #5IHguy2013-06-15 08:02

    As a suggestion, contact Mike Tuminaro at Bristol Hose, Northlake Illinois. 708-492-3456. He does alot with old trucks. -all the best,Marty

  6. #6lynchpin2013-09-03 18:49

    What about a power steering pump? I had the hose made but now the pump is going. It's gotten so bad that the belt jumped off the pulley today. The thing is fighting me pretty hard and I can't seem to find a pump anywhere.