Hello to the group, this is the place I have been looking for! I have a good friend that has a 1993 FLD-120 "Blue" with a rebuilt N-14 (435 hp) & 9 speed Trans/4.10. 4 bag air ride. It is a heavy spec truck that originally was ordered for oil well work Blue has been sitting since the sleeper was smashed & I have the opportunity to buy it & then convert it to a heavy spec day cab with a set forward axle Severe Duty (SD) Hood. The parts truck (broken frame rail) is a 1997 FLD-120 with a dead Detroit motor/no trans. It has the cab/SD hood & Hendrickson Walking Beam Spring suspension. My plan would be to replace the cab, which will require the engine wiring to be converted as well. I would then set the axle forward & replace the hwy hood with the SD hood. I would like to then replace the 4 bag air ride with the Hendrickson Walking beam suspension, which which would first be rebuilt. I know Blue is a great older truck & is worth the time & money to rebuild, as I know her history. I would be getting a great price on it as well. My plan is to either pull a side dump trailer or convert to a dump truck. Has anyone done a conversion such as this? Any input & feedback would be greatly appreciated. Bill
If you are going to pull a trailer with it, I would leave the air ride in it. (unless it is damaged beyond repair). It also may be easier to find a SD hood to fit around a set back axle rather than moving the axle forward. Then sell your hood if possible. Are you planning on changing the length of the truck? Looks like a big project, but if you have the time and space to do it for a reasonable price, you should get a decent truck by the end of it.
I always hate when people tells me this BUT You are really talking about a BUNCH of work, if someone would give you the truck I dont think it would be worth the effort Road tractors are selling so cheap, you would be worth buying a truck that runs and ready to work I think the electric would be a nightmare, to change Think about it hard before you get it keep us posted
One way that might be worthwhile is to just change the back of the cab, there is a company, (The Daycab Company?) that sells kits to put a back wall on that cab. I have changed a few cabs, and it is one more heap of work, not just pulling the entire wiring harness out, but I guarantee there'll be minor differences in the air system that will eat up some time too If you are going to do a lot of off-road work, it might be worth it to change the rear suspension. Walking beam pull way better off road, but it ride like a crawler on the highway. I surely wouldn't consider changing the front suspension, just put 315 or 385 tires on it so it doesn't sink easy.
A number of years ago Freightliner had a program where they took integral sleeper cab trucks and made them into day cabs. Don't know if they still do it but looking at their cabs, if you know how to rivet aluminum it shouldn't be that much work to remove the roof and back panels ect. from the day cab truck and installing them on the other truck.
Yep that should work too, then you just have to fab up some brackets for the cab suspension.
Thanks for all the great replies, as that is what I am seeking. Honest opinions. That being said,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,this will be ALOT of work to say the least. The guy selling the truck is a great friend & is selling it to me on payments & will help me get started in the business (licensing, insurance, bankroll until first settlement) 1. I agree on replacing the back half of cab & roof, this would be the easiest of my options. the daycab kits are close to $2000.00 and I have heard good & bad about www.daycabs.com as far as fit & leaking. 2. johndeere123, it sounds like you know the Freighliner line of trucks? The reason I was thinking for going with the set forward hood is because the entire cowl section has to be replaced for either a set forward/back hood & the parts truck has the correct cowl for the set forward hood. The parts to set the axle forward would be there on the parts truck as well. I have attached a image of both styles to show the difference. Blue is a heavy spec truch that was factory ordered with the I am not committed to this project as of yet & am doing my due diligence before making any decisions. Again, thanks for all of your ideas & honest input. I will be posting updates as I move forward on my research. Bill
Change of Cabs Hello Bill, If you decide to not use the green cab let me know. I am looking for a cab like that. [email protected] Thanks Rich