Hi everybody.... Well I bought a D8k at a auction few weeks ago..... Its a lot different than my D6C thats for sure... specially steering. Anyway after trying it our pushing over some small slough trees and working it for 2 hours I noticed that it sometimes does not want to go in gear after shifting from reverse to forward. I shift it back in reverse and back to forward again and it will go. Is this a linkage issue or something else? Is it going to harm it more if I keep using it this way? Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old iron has old ways... have you checked the oil, serviced the filters, made sure the oil is clean-ish? One thing we found on old 7's and 8's is don't get in a hurry, lots of iron and oil moving around in there, pull it out of gear, let it set in neutral while the revs come down for a three count then make your shift, don't try to go from one direction directly to the other. Maybe you're supposed to be able to, but old girls sometimes need a bit of coaxing and some loving swear words to keep them happy Seriously, same thing applies to changing speed gears too quickly, there are modulators and blocking spools in the control valves that prevent two speed clutches or both direction clutches from being pressurized at the same time to avoid the obvious mechanical collision, got to work at the machine's rhythm. Wiser minds than I will have more current and more experienced advice I am sure
Yair . . . I like that lantraxco The O/P may well have a deeper issue but a local D6 was acting similar last year. I ran it for an hour or so and it seemed fine to me. The young bloke climbed back on and he wouldn't have it that he should decelerate between direction and gear changes. I have always driven power shifts with that little pause to let things lock up and then apply the juice. Cheers.
Are we still talking about D8K's here???
Prolly not coming out of first to neutral. Some adjustment and loosening 3 Or a set of bushings and heims. Could also be f piston seals.
If it's got *its, tracks, wings, or wheels..... :tong
It will work well when its cold... but after working it for awhile then it starts to happen.
I would look hard for a possible suction hose leaking, or maybe just hard O rings. A small suction leak can cause the slow priming leading to slow shifting.