What's the correct number of filter for these machines I'm running into problems. It had a cat 4H 8792 filter in it. Cat tells me this is the incorrect number, I've tried napa filters 3181,3187,& 3189 and none fit correctly, napa guy said it's a flaw in the cross reference. I've realized there's a serial number break on this also, our # is 17A10379 thanks guys
I have a 17A18918 and it takes a Cat 9H1252 fuel filter. My parts book starts at 17A11879 so it is a little newer than yours.
If it is the original filter housing and not the field change over it takes a Cat #6H5931 (Wix #33181) Looking up the 4H8792 Wix indicates it's a valid number but there is no replacement. My parts books do not indicate a 4H8792 as being used in any 17A. Edit: More digging shows 4H8792 is now Cat #1R0724 which reverts back to a Wix 33189. If there is a problem converting to Wix/Napa I'd suggest you get the element from Cat. Edit: Even more digging shows 6H5931, 4H8792, 1R0724 and more to be all the same filter.
Thanks for the digging however I'm still at a loss I called cat ordered a 4H8792 and as you stated it switched to a 1R0724 and they are different also they look the same but the center of the filter where they fit onto the base are different sizes around 6mm difference in size so I'm kinda lost on what to do we've never changed fuel filters as it was serviced before we purchased the machine cat thinks I might have to switch fuel filter bases. Also I'm servicing the machine before it goes to the job site and am going to replace the flywheel clutch oil would it hurt to put 15W40 in that I know the book don't call for that that's what the previous owner ran in the Engine so we did to as I don't like to change viscosity,I've found some older posts where you don't recommend that. Thanks
Looking at the parts break down for the early fuel filter housings I see 17A1-4858 uses a different filter rod assy than what is used on 17A4859-10696 with some overlapping of s/n's. Also a visible change in spring diameter. Even though they use the same 6H5931 element there might be a change in dimensions that explains the different fit at the filter bottom. If it can't be sorted out I'd move up to the later fuel filter housing used on 17A10693-up that uses the much more common 9H1252 element. If you get a used housing be sure to check the flatness of the bottom flange as it is an aluminum housing known to get distorted. Do not use current engine oil in the oil clutch. The late stuff is far to slick and will result in clutch slippage. Correct lube for the oil clutch is Transmission Drive Train Oil (TDTO) TO-4 spec. in SAE30 wt.
Fleetguard shows a cross to an FF116 with a 1.06" Id on the filter element, would that work?
OK the filter base change makes most sense serial number is 17A10379 I took some pictures of the I.d of the filters I'll post them when i get home this evening and OK thanks on the flywheel clutch I'll get some sae 30wt I figured I shouldn't do that.
Here's some dimensions of the filters
Wix filter look-up for 1R0724 shows 1.083: bottom ID, 0.406" top ID. Looks like something got lost in the interchange. Wix doesn't show a replacement for 4H8792. I didn't look for other sources. Found replacement for 4H8792 in the Baldwin filter line (PF823-E). Has 1-1/16" bottom ID.
Thank you I'll check into that now my next question is we put new head gaskets on this if u remember you helped me identify some parts and started it up and havnt really used it. This machine has been sitting probably 7-8 years with no work and now it's spitting oil out the exhaust did I screw up somewhere going back together with it?
Sounds like a case of "slobbering" due to cylinder glazing or poor ring sealing. Take it out, warm it up good pulling or pushing a heavy load for a few hours. May clear it self up. If not you may be dealing with a worn out engine. Avoid running the engine at idle for long periods of time.
Thanks we bought this in 1999 and cleared 10 acres with it and then the steering clutch went out as far as we remember it didn't use that much oil I got a clearing job going on now I'll get it bolted back up and do some raking with it and see if that cures it. I have to ask did you work on these machines I've seen you post on multiple forums abt these 17As
Raking is not that much of a load. Takes some serious disc pulling or dozing to give it a work out. My direct working on the 17A's is limited but I use to run maintenance crews/departments that did. Over the years I have become quite familiar with these machines and their quirks. Most of my posting is on the ACMOC bulletin board plus I have an extensive library on the older machines. At this point it's just a retirement hobby.
also on the slobering check your compression release settings after I redid the heads on my 3t it did the same thing , I found that I had 2 of the comp release rods too tight also after 3 or 4 hours hard running u should retoqre the heads and check valve clearance