ITs almost embarrassing to ask but I just bought this thing and want to change the oil. I am pretty sure this does not have a spin on filter and uses a cartridge in a housing on the right side of the motor near the dipstick. Have I missed a remote spin on filter location? It's just all the service manuals I have looked at show a regular filter mounted to the side of the block. However on my backhoe I don't see anything of the sort. Also is it best to swap the cartridge by removing the top off the housing or removing it from the base. Just looks a little more involved then any other oil filter I have ever changed. Thanks for any help! I am sure I will need more soon. But my new old backhoe is a beast. Ripping out some big stumps and moving dirt on the sonoma coast!
Go to JDparts.com and look it up as a 510. The 510D is a much later model with a different engine. The parts catalog shows a canister oil filter with a endcap with four bolts holding it to a housing, and presumably(going from other canister filters, no experience with this one) one big bolt in the middle of the endcap? That bolt is what you want to loosen to remove the whole works from the base, then disassemble and replace the element on a clean bench so you don't drop anything, and double check that all the pieces are there, not just put back the way they came out. If you put it together wrong the oil won't go through the filter and you won't have any warning either. Be careful with the round seal, make sure the old one is removed and the groove is clean.
I have the same machine as you do. And for 1977, it was a 510. I know, know, the serial plate said 510D, but D's were made later on. I think the D is a designation for the location the machine was made. Des Moines factory. This is what I have been told. They, two filter housings, are on the right side belly of the machine, somewhat under your brake petal. One is the engine oil and the other is the hydraulic/transmission. Here is the link for the parts catalog: http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt I think this link should show you the image of the engine oik filter and housing: http://jdpc.deere.com/pimages/R150/R15038_________UN01JAN94.gif This would be the hydraulic/trans filter: http://jdpc.deere.com/pimages/T602/T60221_________UN01JAN94.gif
I also just purchased the operator manual and service/repair manual for mine. Let me know if interested and I can split the difference of the cost of the digital download. Service/repair manual is 400 pages and operator is 127 I think.
Many thanks Great wealth of knowledge here. Thanks for all the tips. Just ordered the new filter and will have a chance to replace it next week when I head up to my place in the woods near the coast to do some abalone diving. I would be interested in getting the electronic manuals as well. I have a. PayPal account Just curious if they are different the ones I have now
Little correction, the two filter housings are transmission and hydraulic return. The engine oil filter is actually in the oil pan of the engine, you will find if I recall correctly a square aluminum cover on the left side of the pan with four nuts and washers holding it on, the filter lives under that cover plate.
Yes, I stand corrected. This is straight from the manual.