Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1977 John Deere 644-B

Aubrey Land ยท 2019-11-04 16:56

Hi gang, I have a JD 644-B wheeled loader. Recently she has developed some issues, primarily that once fired up, it will either move in rev or forward for a while then it will become sluggish and after another gear shifting it will no longer move. This will last for a day or so. Sometimes it will not engage at all upon cranking it. I have changed the filters. I am having no luck finding what the culprit is. any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies8
  1. #1mg23612019-11-06 04:42

    Welcome to HEF Aubrey ! The driveshaft between the engine and the transmission spinning when the issue happens? If it is then the next step/steps would be a bunch of pressure checks.

  2. #2fast_st2019-11-06 09:16

    what kind of transmission is it, allison or zf? have you cleaned the intake screen?

  3. #3Aubrey Land2019-11-06 18:17

    hey gang, thank y'all for the speedy answers. I will check the shaft tomorrow. as far as the tranny, I believe it is the Allison. I read that around the time of our machine's production, they changed transmissions and my luck is I have the bad one lol.

  4. #4fast_st2019-11-06 19:51

    Oh, nothing wrong with either one, both are very simple design and almost bulletproof.

  5. #5mg23612019-11-07 04:29

    Like Fast_st said, check the suction screen. Also post the machine serial number if you have it.

  6. #6Aubrey Land2019-11-07 10:18

    yes sir, im about to head out and check now. again thank you all so so so much.

  7. #7Aubrey Land2019-11-07 10:31

    the serial number is 001357 CD

  8. #8Aubrey Land2019-11-07 10:31