Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1977 White Freightliner Cabover

Blaster ยท 2009-12-05 05:10

I bought this truck last summer,it had only one owner/driver before me.It's a remarkable old truck that works daily.The previous owner put it in his garage from Oct. 1st to April 1st each year and that has helped in its condition i'm sure.I'm looking for a winter cover for the front of her this winter.Our Freightliner dealer here in Nova Scotia tried but part# was obsolete.He gave me a name up here that might make one for me.My truck has the turn buckles and not snaps.I see 3 turnbucles on the front of both doors as well.I'll add a picture if I can figure out how.Computers are not mybest area. Al Thank you for any and all help.

Replies11
  1. #1amtronic2009-12-05 10:20

    Beautiful truck! My first semi driving experience was a FLA dual drive pulling a reefer full of eggs! What do you have for a powerplant there? And we need more pictures!!

  2. #2Willis Bushogin2009-12-05 12:09

    cover best thing to do is find a canvas shop and get them to make you one to fit the fasteners. If you were to luck up and find a new one from the dealer, the fasteners may not be the same and you will have to drill more holes. A good boat canvas shop can fix you up and install new fasteners also, in the original holes. If there is no local shop, find one and give them the measurments. As stated, what kind of power and more pictures

  3. #3Blaster2009-12-06 08:00

    My daughter will shrink some more pics today and i'll get them on.She has 400 Cummins that lacks nothing and easily hauls my float with excavator on it.Is this paint design with the wine coloured stripes the original design?I see some pics of similar trucks and most are similar.I plan on painting her in the spring.I found a similar truck but a 79 that has similar specs and engine that if the winter is busy I might try to bring it home for parts.I think the dealer up here might match vin numbers and tell me if most parts will inter change.I'll get the pics later today.With only dial up internet here on the farm the pics take awhile to post.

  4. #4Red Bank2009-12-06 10:07

    I remember as a kid having some Freightliner post cards from around 77 or 78 that had a cabover and a conventional tractor on the front. I had three of them, all with different color trucks, I had them on the wall next to my bed ( I was 7 and ate up with trucks), anyway I believe on your truck there should be another color, probably white inside the wine colored stripes. I wished I still had those post cards! Anyway, nice truck, glad you are still working it. I love driving my 81 Mack, you just don't see them everyday!

  5. #5trucker12009-12-09 17:50

    Blaster, is this what you're looking for??? George

  6. #6rino2009-12-10 03:20

    Red Bank: Here in OH you see a lot of them old R Model Pup's. Heck the company had 4 of 12! Now the have still mostly Macks but CH's a couple R's and a Granite! There is a company out here called PGT, and the fleet is mostly R's, mostly tri axle, and about 5 twin sticks! L ove watching a rookie get in one of those R's with 2 sticks and try to find Reverse! Thats comic relief for about 1/2 an hour! As I remember most of those twin sticks had the 238 or the 258, I can't remember!

  7. #7Blaster2009-12-10 04:07

    White freightliner winter cover Morning George, That looks like the one for the grill.The one this had went around and was fastened to front of both doors. Which type I wouldn't care as long as it cut down a little cold air coming in.Would it be possible to get the length and width from you?Also maybe holes location. Thank you for your help Al

  8. #8trucker12009-12-12 13:07

    Blaster, sent you a PM with the measurements, sorry they are in inches, looked for the tape measure I have with both inches and metric, but couldn't find it. Must be hid with all the other stuff I can't find. George

  9. #9Blaster2009-12-13 04:36

    George, Thank you again.Casey took the truck into the people that make our tarps and they are making one to cover the whole front from door to door. Thank you for all the information and help that was sent me. Have a great holiday. ps George i'm still not using that metric stuff just yet. Al

  10. #10amtronic2009-12-13 12:57

    Make sure they leave slack in it for when you tilt the cab. The license plate panel slides down the front of the bumper and will bow out the cover. It looks like the panel might hang on the step mounted there, in which case it will bend in half. The panel can't go in back of the bumper becasue the steering gear box is right there, and there is no clearance for it. That's why the cab is notched there too, to clear the box. The panel should have some rubber bumpers on the back of it too, otherwise it will bang against the cab while you drive. Every little bit helps quiet the racket you got to put up with while driving a COE.

  11. #11rusty nut2009-12-13 14:43

    you might want to try a belly tarp also. a piece of canvas about 4x6ft under engine strapped to frame rails.