Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1978 CAT 977L trouble turning.

mountainmoron · 2023-08-31 20:45

The pedals all depress and release. Left pedal is all the way to the floor and barely turns. Right pedal isn’t AS bad but still needs work. How do I adjust this? Center break only works in neutral

Replies12
  1. #1Robert Boggs2023-08-31 23:06

    I’d make certain the park brake isn’t set unintentionally.

  2. #2_Weldman_2023-08-31 23:25

    Get a book on it.

  3. #3mountainmoron2023-09-01 06:53

    Can’t find what I’m looking for.

  4. #4mountainmoron2023-09-01 06:53

    I checked and it’s not set

  5. #5mountainmoron2023-09-01 07:02

    I’ve been operating for almost a year and a half now so I’m still learning. My boss said the brakes need adjusted but I haven’t been able to find any info or videos for guidance. He said under the seat there is a triangle shaped plate that I need to take off and then there will be 3 9/16 bolts/nuts I can tighten to adjust but I can’t find what he’s talking about. Like I said still learning.

  6. #6Nige2023-09-01 07:16

    If your 977L is a 14X, 64X, or 95X Serial Number then the attached procedure will work. For a complete Service Manual search the web for Cat Publication reference SENR7787. Be careful though because a new one only costs around $230 (see HERE ) and yet there are tatty used copies for sale on eBay where sellers are asking more than that.

  7. #7mountainmoron2023-09-01 08:11

    It’s 11K unfortunately

  8. #8Nige2023-09-01 08:24

    Ah, an earlier model. 11K machines started life as 977K but were re-badged as 977L from 11K3919 onwards. 11K8499 must have been quite close to being one the last 11K machines built. See attachment. You need to be searching for a different Service Manual, REG00635. See HERE .

  9. #9mountainmoron2023-09-01 19:04

    Thank you so much!!!

  10. #10Nige2023-09-02 08:33

    Do yourself a favour for the future and get a service manual. There is not a lot of information available online for machines of this era.

  11. #11bam19682023-09-08 19:13

    FWIW. In Nige's 2nd attachment it says to back the adjusting bolt off 12 clicks. Personally, I prefer and have had good luck backing it off 9 clicks. Probably mostly just personal preference and probably not a big deal either way. Just my $.02

  12. #12Welder Dave2023-09-08 23:17

    Experience counts. I think as long as the brakes aren't dragging you should be fine.