I am not very much into the diesel industry, they brought us this bobcat & someone cut all the electrical wires from the control panel, the starter and alternator, we finally put it together to crank it and start it. My situation now is it wont shut off with key. I do not know if it has a fuel solenoid shut off, we don't have a manual for it also. We are doing this project at the secondary automotive program level. Are we missing something? hope someone can help. We have attached some pics of a solenoid, it connects to the fuel tank and into the injection pump. Could this possibly be the fuel shut off? Thanks jll
The device you have circled in red is a Facet electric fuel pump for pumping fuel from the tank to the injection pump. A 1978 Perkins is unlikely to have an electric solenoid for shutoff, it would have a cable control shutoff to a lever on the fuel injection pump.
Thanks, we added power to it thru the ignition switch and we were successful. it turned on. The unit has been returned to the owner, the students had a great learning experience thru 12volt reference, continuity testing plus seeking assistance from the experts thru forums such as this one. Thanks once again. jll
I'm curious if you are shutting the engine off the intended way or shutting it off by turning the fuel pump off? I would think it has a manual control to shut it off as well.
There IS a manual shut off lever on the top cover.. Military applications shut the inlet fuel off.. All others use either the manual lever on the top cover OR an electric shut off solenoid screwed into the pump..
I had a Miller welder with Perkins that used an electric solenoid to pull the lever on the injection pump. It went bad and was $130.00 from Miller in 1985. I bought a $10 universal choke cable and brazed part of the linkage from the solenoid to make it work. There was no real need to have electric control of the shut off lever.