Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

gotta get new safety hemet

dylanmitchell · 2023-04-22 13:03

What safety hats you use for long days? GC is gonna require these new helmet and gotta get my own as contract guy. Mostly running a dozer or loader. Skulkgard won't cut it anymore on this job it has to be chin strap climbing style helmet or type 2 hat even running equipment with cage or roll bar they say you can smack side of your head.

Replies47
  1. #1CM19952023-04-22 13:14

    Welcome to the Forums DM! Glad to have you. I hate those goofy chin strap helmets. Prefer a full brim for sun protection because in the end I worry more about skin cancer than getting hit in the head.. So far the Skullguard full brim is still acceptable for us lowly subs.

  2. #2dylanmitchell2023-04-22 13:30

    Yep chin strap helmets are all low or no brim but you can get get funny looking covers for more shade.

  3. #3Acoals2023-04-22 14:44

    That's what the cab is for . . .

  4. #4CM19952023-04-22 15:54

    Not to the safety man..

  5. #5AzIron2023-04-22 20:57

    Some of this stuff is getting out of hand it's also getting more expensive

  6. #6crane operator2023-04-22 21:15

    Its absolutely stupid. How many guys have been hurt wearing a standard hard hat- where a "climber" version hard hat with chin strap would have helped? Its just one more "implementation" the safety guys can put on their time card for the year to justify their existence. Anything that can get at me in the cab- and hurt me- a hard hat isn't going to stop.

  7. #7dylanmitchell2023-04-22 21:18

    Siiting in a steel cage heavy chin strap helmet not helping guys out. Pricey and suppised to trash if dropped or hit. Full face hemets are next ☹️

  8. #8Acoals2023-04-22 21:24

    Maybe just start showing up in full football gear. It's rough out there on the job.

  9. #9CM19952023-04-22 21:43

    Funny thing is we work on commercial jobs where guys are on a 4x4 pallet on a telehandler extended 20' in the air to jobs that will probably implement the goofy assed chin strap hard hats because the lead safety man went to the same seminar. Strange times indeed.

  10. #10AzIron2023-04-22 22:07

    It's a broad treatment to an acute problem I got in an argument the other day cutting grade in a 9 foot hole why I was not wearing safety glasses and the safety lady completely couldn't understand how glasses affect depth perception 20 feet from my face At a certain point life has level of risk that cant be mitigated by any reasonable means so at what point does personal responsibility play in I am big on safety but I am also not a moron

  11. #11CM19952023-04-22 22:16

    Same here AZ, I am drawing the line at the chin strap BS. When the 3rd floor types have to wear the chin strap they are implementing all day in the office, then I'll wear one too.

  12. #12_Weldman_2023-04-22 22:37

    I just strap a K-pot on, tell'em "FIRE IN THE HOLE", they scramble and never complain again about what safety helmet I have on.

  13. #13cuttin edge2023-04-22 22:50

    Don't need a hard hat in a machine, but you have to wear a seatbelt. Only need a chinstrap if you are climbing or doing something where the hat falls off. Here anyway. Hardhat must be replaced every 7 years I think. This is the last year for mine. I kinda like it, so hope I can get another. I was constantly in trouble for no hat, but since I found this one . wrong picture .The boys ask me if I put it on the night stand when I go to bed. I've caught myself wearing it into the grocery stor after work.

  14. #14AzIron2023-04-22 23:00

    I bought a lift hard hat best move I made I get halfway to the next job and realize I am still wearing it

  15. #15Camshawn2023-04-23 00:48

    We were all issued those climber type hard hats for when we went into confined spaces. The chin straps always pressed on the side arms of my glasses giving me a headache after a while. Came from the safety dept, bought for the whole company from a local supplier (that was partially owned by a couple of the safety guys?). I always liked the full brim hats to keep the rain or condensation drips off the back of my neck. Sewer wet wells don’t drip often here in our climate, but they do and water chambers almost always drip in the warm weather. Cam

  16. #16chidog2023-04-23 04:08

    Hard hat ? Yeah would hate to wear out my hair wearing one all day long, but there have been times I wish I had one on. Like banging head on ripper bars, dealing with towing cables, and driving off road trucks on rough areas and bouncing to the roof, both not fun, oh and the occasional between the back of the blade and radiator guard, clearing or checking something and crashing the head into one of the lift cylinders. The times I wish I would have had the hard hat on.

  17. #17Truck Shop2023-04-23 04:48

    I had a few issues involving the company safety person in the shop. I grabbed a pack of cigs lit one up {so what safety problems have you found in the shop I asked?}.---she left.

  18. #18Acoals2023-04-23 07:20

    Fortunately 95% of the jobs I work up here have the pallet-and-telehandler vibes . . .

  19. #19_Weldman_2023-04-23 09:23

    Lean up against a diesel tank while doing that.

  20. #20cuttin edge2023-04-23 10:30

    Don't need hard hats in our shop or close to the shop, but as soon as you head out into the yard..... Biggest issue our consultant has is housekeeping in the shop. She took a picture of one of the work areas to use as an example of poor housekeeping.

  21. #21CM19952023-04-23 10:35

    My wife has a Lift and she loves it. I just haven't got the nerve to get rid of my skullguard yet.

  22. #22Truck Shop2023-04-23 10:52

    Funny-I was standing about four feet from the nurse tank. Point about the whole thing was I ran a clean shop-It past OSHA and L&I inspections. She was just being officious. The shop area below, only photos I had.

  23. #23cuttin edge2023-04-23 13:23

    Don't need hard hats in our shop or close to the shop, but as soon as you head out into the yard..... Biggest issue our consultant has is housekeeping in the shop. She took a picture of one of the work areas to use as an example of poor housekeeping.

  24. #24cuttin edge2023-04-23 13:31

    Blaster for a company I worked for was sitting in the powder mag smoking when the inspector walked up. Started freaking out at him. He asked him if he knew how they got rid of old sticks of powerfrac. He pulled out his lighter and began burning the bottom of one of the tubes. He yelled at him and said this stuff is useless without a det, why do you think they keep them in seperate mags so far apart. All the while he is still burning it. Inspector never bothered him again

  25. #25HardRockNM2023-04-23 21:15

    I've run into more things because of safety glasses destroying my depth perception than I've had safety glasses prevent a potential eye injury. Blowing dust gets around them and into my eyes anyways.

  26. #26Camshawn2023-04-23 21:24

    We had to start wearing PPE including face shields and safety glasses when working on live electrical equipment. There was definitely some distortion from the PPE. I had to learn how to work around it. The face shield was dark green coloured and that was a bigger hazard than the distortion. Cam

  27. #27cuttin edge2023-04-23 21:33

    I think some companies here require face shields when opening and closing large contacts to protect from arc flash, but other than that, anything goes. I knew an electrician that used to test for 600volts with the back of his hand. When he saw the look on my face, he roared over the gen set noise, Safety tip, always use the back of your hand to test. If you use your palm, and it's live, it will force your hand to close, and then you got problems. I thought, don't touch it at all.

  28. #28Truck Shop2023-04-23 21:54

    When my wife worked for PP&L power I remember her telling me about a lineman pulling a meter base, he had all his gear on. It did what is called a flash over. Hot enough it melted some material on the sleeves of his PPE's, the face shield helped but it roasted the hair off his head and flash burnt his neck and sides of his face. He was lucky.

  29. #29Camshawn2023-04-23 21:58

    Arc flash…. The higher the hazard, the more PPE you get to wear (if anyone is looking) from arc flash rated clothing to bomb suits. A big 240v buss can release more energy than smaller higher voltage circuit. Our boss at the time went to a conference in the USA where the presenters suggested the boss could be sued if there was an accident. He came up with all kinds of safety rules based on NFPA70a. We had to have arc flash studies done on all of our sites.

  30. #30_Weldman_2023-04-23 22:42

    Ah yes arc flash, was wearing my welding helmet and had one hand holding/covering my F stick when I flipped that 500 plus VDC switch on my CC (charge controller) for my solar panels.

  31. #31JD955SC2023-04-24 09:42

    Just get a special needs helmet and scream “TIMMAH” constantly

  32. #32cuttin edge2023-04-24 20:43

    I don't know why anyone would want to be a boss now. I have a small crew. Myself, a truck driver, and a laborer. Under the law, I am considered an employer, and am liable for the men under me. If I keep taking safety courses, I'll be overqualified for my job. They are trying to force me to force people under me to work safe by making me liable for their safety. Instant prick.

  33. #33CM19952023-04-24 21:18

    CE liable how in the eyes of Canadian law?

  34. #34Tyler d4c2023-04-24 21:30

    This is how I try to live my life. Some people act like everyone wants to get hurt anymore. I lts simply not true in my eyes cause it hurts to get hurt and I'm not a fan

  35. #35CM19952023-04-25 11:10

    Heck it hurts to get out of the bed in the morning.

  36. #36Acoals2023-04-25 14:00

    Hurts to stay there too . . .

  37. #37Welder Dave2023-04-25 16:56

    There are certain conditions where you want to have the protection of a chin strap hardhat. Remember reading about a dozer operator getting killed when his dozer rolled on a steep slope and his head got banged around in the cab. The problem with the safety police is they take an example like that and make it the standard policy despite the work site conditions. There is little to no chance of getting a head injury working on flat ground unless the operator is either inexperienced or extremely careless. Another case where common sense should apply but they base their safety protocols on an extreme situation that isn't possible 99% of the time. Watched a short documentary on building P&H mining shovels. Hard hats aren't required because if something fell on you a hard hat wouldn't save you. Their safety policy has more to do with overhead crane safety and making sure everyone knows what's happening and stays out of the way. It's too bad that the safety police don't use this kind of common sense.

  38. #38cuttin edge2023-04-25 19:56

    I don't know if it is across the country, or only in this province, but when it comes to safety, $h1t runs up hill. If joe blow is on my crew, he can't run a power saw without the required safety gear. If he gets cut, and dies because he was not wearing safety pants. Was he familar with NSC safety policies, did you go over safe work procedures for operating a chain saw? Did he have the proper PPE? Did you make sure he had the proper PPE. Have you ever written him up for not wearing PPE. Then up to my super, same thing, all the way up to the owner. We had a good shop foreman quit because he was not willing to take the risk. They also pound documentation into our head, write down everything. If you are fount to be responsable, for a death, next comes criminal charges

  39. #39barrelroll2023-04-25 21:27

    That reminds me of this "song", warning offensive Aussie underground miner language. MOD EDIT - Come on you know that won't fly here. CM It looks like MSA offers a chin strap kit, it might keep the safety police happy https://us.msasafety.com/Head-Prote...-MSA-Hard-Hats/p/000060000200001001?locale=en We have one guy on my crew who's all about good looking hard hats, they are always shiny and sometimes custom painted. You would think he is a boss or equipment operator, not a mechanic working on mining junk if you looked at his hard hats. One day his fell off into the cyclone discharge box feeding the ball mill from the deck above plugging the output sending rejects back into the ball mill. There's a couple hundred gallons a minute of slurry/ little rocks flowing into the box, you can't really just put your hand into it without it turning to hamburger in 2 seconds. We ended up shutting down the ball mill over that one. He ended up having to get a new hardhat because the old one made it look like he actually worked after it spent time in the box. I go by the underground miner theory of it's bad luck to clean your hard hat and let mother nature give it a bath on occasion.

  40. #40Camshawn2023-04-25 21:28

    Sounds like your boss went to the same seminar my boss went too. Things have changed since I started in the trade. Cam

  41. #41Welder Dave2023-04-25 21:38

    Most MX racers will drop a new helmet on the ground before they use it. Apparently it's bad luck to not break in a new helmet in. If a hard hat was painted you'd have to make sure that the paint didn't affect the hard hat material. On race helmets it's very important to protect the inner liner from paint and solvents as it deteriorates it. Don't know if plastic hard hat material would react with some paints.

  42. #42hseII2023-04-25 22:05

    Petzl Vent- Petzl Vertex Vent ANSI Helmet The Petzl Vertex Vent ANSI is the breezier version of the super-comfortable Vertex ANSI Helmet. This durable modular helmet comes with an ANSI Z89.1 rating and features a six-point textile su www.treestuff.com I wear the Kask, but it’s not as light & airy as the Petzl I shared. I got all My guys Petzl Vents.

  43. #43hseII2023-04-25 23:21

    It’s a really big deal now on the States.

  44. #44hseII2023-04-25 23:24

    You think the Skullguard is nice, you should try a Skull Bucket- hands down the most comfortable hard hat I’ve ever worn & there’s a dozen between the basement & Connex. Home | Skull Bucket - The Authentic Aluminum Hard Hat Welcome to the home of the Authentic Skull Bucket aluminum hard hat. Only the authentic Skull Bucketâ„¢ hard hat brand is crafted to quality-without-question standards. Recognized as reinventing the aluminum hard hat, the Skull Bucketâ„¢ tradition of superior protection and craftsmanship is... skullbucket.com That will really get the safety peoples’ starters bumped. The cheap aluminum versions are not the same.

  45. #45dylanmitchell2023-04-26 12:05

    Not too long ago fuel lube guys smoked while filling tanks. Not safe but diesel is harder to ignite then gas. Found a cap style Bullard ansi type 2 chin strap hat. Bit heavy, hot and sits high. Couple guys have zenith x air kask that looks like better breathing. Gonna order one.

  46. #46Acoals2023-04-26 13:48

    There are two ways to ignite diesel fuel with a cigarette, or even a lighter for that matter; Atomize it, or be in a movie . . .

  47. #47hseII2023-04-26 15:34

    Petzl Vent Is temperature cooler than the Kask I wear. The Petzl weighs less also.