Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1979 Case 580C lost of steering

fishfighter ยท 2016-02-27 12:33

Just happen this morning. Was good, then nothing. Oil level is good. So, any ideas? Thanks

Replies8
  1. #1csthompson122016-02-27 12:50

    Hello, It could be a few things, but on mine the two steering cylinders down by the wheels had bad seals on them. Oil was just bypassing causing no power steering.

  2. #2fishfighter2016-02-27 13:06

    Those cylinders were rebuilt not to long ago. I don't think that is the problem. What would the chances of both going out at the same time all at once? The steering was working fine one minute, gone the next. Has something to do with the pump or steering valve. The steering wheel spins freely both ways without any reaction to the steering.

  3. #3sheepfoot2016-02-27 15:55

    You may have lost the pin in the coupling at the point the steering shaft hooks to the valve, remove the steering wheel, slide the tube up (have to loosen the strap and at the floor board. Slide it up to expose the shaft coupler retainer and pin. If you have a bad piston or seal it can also loop the oil, if like said with little effort wheel spins check the coupler.

  4. #4fishfighter2016-02-28 09:09

    Thanks sheepfoot. That was what I was thinking. I can lift the steering wheel a good inch or so. Putting down pressure and spinning the wheel, it would catch somewhat to move the wheels. Not much, but it does. Fixing to go bust into it and I will report back.

  5. #5fishfighter2016-02-28 11:58

    Found out the problem. The shaft at the coupling broke off.:Banghead Tried to post some pictures, but I'm kind of dumb when it comes to these putters. But anyway, I guess that over the years water got down in there, rusting things out. I still have to get the steering wheel off the shaft. As for as the shaft, if I knew how long it was new, I would just have a local shop cut and add to the shaft to rebuild the bottom for the shear pin. I'm thinking of going the way and just have them add about 2". If the shaft is a bit longer, It wouldn't be a big deal.

  6. #6onemank62016-02-28 15:14

    FISH---- you might check with Dale at e-backhoeparts.com he is real good to deal with and either has or can get you a used one and he will ship it right to you he is in Indiana.If you need his # let me know.....Good luck

  7. #7fishfighter2016-02-28 15:14

    Got the steering wheel off. Took some heating and PB blaster and a maul. Now I think I could just cut the steering rod and just add/weld a piece of pipe to it and drill out a pin hole. Going to give that a try tomorrow. Oh, I did start the hoe and was able to turn the wheels with no problem with my hand turning the coupling.

  8. #8fishfighter2016-02-29 11:51

    Well, I jerry rigged it this morning and finished the job. The cheap quick fix was just to weld on a 1" piece of 1/2" pipe. Then I just cut a slot like a fork that was able to slip down over the coupler pin. Fixing to order a used shaft from a guy that has a heavy equipment grave yard not 15 miles from me.