Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Cam interchange Case 188/207

tortie ยท 2016-02-27 12:54

I am wondering if the cams are the same between a Case 188 and 207 Diesel engine. I know it will fit, but is the cam profile the same? I have the 207 parts manual so I know the part number of that one. I don't have the 188 parts book so I can't check to see if the part numbers are the same. Does anyone know for SURE ? What has happened is that my original cam gear has too much play. It's supposed to have 4 to 6 thousandth's or so,...mine has 25 thousandths. So I bought a new aftermarket cam gear. But it measures the same,...too loose. It doesn't look like a quality part. The teeth don't look like they're been cut, more like cast. Junk. I have an opportunity to buy a decent cam and gear set up out of a 188 but wonder if the cam is an interchange? This will solve two problems at once. Thanks. Tortie.

Replies4
  1. #1Juskatla2016-02-27 13:33

    I can't offer advice on what will fit, but here are the numbers from the Parts Manual: w/o tach drive - prior to eng serial 2679781 Cam - A39013 Gear - A38931 with tach drive = Cam - A39013 no mention of gear specific for this You'll want to check the bushings, as they may be worn giving you the slop.

  2. #2tortie2016-02-27 14:50

    That's a big help. The part numbers are the same. So I can safely assume the cam profiles are the same too. The block is a replacement so I had it cooked, cleaned, all the oil galleys rodded and brushed, and new cam bearings installed. This is a major rebuild to new specs. It ran ok before the teardown but had to come apart due to a cracked block. (Previous owner let freeze) I figure it would run again ok with the old cam gear with the excess slop but why not try to get it to spec since everything else is going to be new and to spec too. I was just bummed about the aftermarket cam gear,...real junk. Thanks for the help. Steve Case 580C 1978

  3. #3kshansen2016-02-27 19:22

    Just for every ones information Case does online parts books on most things. Check here and enter your model number. http://partstore.caseih.com/us/parts-search.html#epc::model_find Sometimes it helps to only put in part of the model like 188 or 207 to have it show some of the optional versions of that basic model.

  4. #4diver2016-02-28 14:15

    Nice, thanks for the parts tip