Got online and bought what I was told was the parts manual for a backhoe we own. Thought it was strange as it said 410 - all years. I even wrote the company an email asking to be sure as they have been making the 410 for like 50+ years. They responded assuring me that my serial was covered. Nearly $100 later for the parts and service manual. Low and behold, they were in fact not for my machine. Crooks wouldn't even give me my money back as its a "digital product". Couldn't be more pissed. I've bought manuals from them before without issue, but never again. Anyone know a legitimate source for a parts manual, pdf would be preferable, for a 1979 Deere 410 backhoe?
You could try this place https://www.jensales.com/search?search=john deere 410 manual They did make those for several years so you may have to look on John Deere's service publications website to find the right part number of the manual and than search by the part number.
Thats exactly where I got ripped off. Won't be doing business there again.
First thing, you want a catalog that matches your serial break, not a generic "all years" 410. Deere changed quite a bit between early straight 410s and later variants. Grab your serial number from the tag on the dash pedestal or bellhousing and match it to the serial range listed on the catalog cover/description. If they do not list a range, skip it. Legit sources: Deere's own Technical Publications site (search "410 parts catalog" and filter by serial), some Deere dealers will still sell you a PDF, and a few resellers scan the original PC books and state the serial breaks clearly. Last time I needed one I used this 410 parts catalog and it matched by serial: https://machinecatalogic.com/john-deere-410-backhoe-loader-parts-catalog/
John Deere Parts Catalog The link above is a free online catalog.
Sorry to hear that. You do have to watch some of those places. Some of them seem more worried about selling something than making sure it is what you need. Some of the people that answer the phone don't even know.
As mg2361 posted, you can use the one on the JD website for free, and it'll also give you the updated/superseded part numbers and availability. As such I don't see any need to pay for a digital copy. I could understand if you wanted a print copy, I've had good luck finding those on Ebay.
Why would you pay for a digital deere parts manual go here. https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/
To keep in the shop for the mechanics. Computers dont survive in our shop, paper manuals do.
Some people despise electronic manuals and would rather look through a paper manual. Even if you have to pay for it.
I agree, I personally like paper manuals much better, but why didn't you just order the paper manual to begin with? I've had nothing but trouble when I've tried to download pdf's then have them printed.
A paper manual lasts maybe 6 months in the binder in our shop. I get PDF's as when one falls apart, I can print a new one in 30 minutes. We also keep several copies at each mechanics bay so everyone has manuals for whatever machine pulls into their bay.
It sure sounds like your wrench pullers need to take better care of there manuals
They work hard, do the work right, and dont ever put up a fuss. Our shop always has wrenches turning, something is always broken, i dont give them crap because they get grease or oil on some pages. Its a $10 ream of paper and $3 in ink to make a new one. What mechanic wants to be stressing out about "my hands are dirty and I cant get the paper dirty" they are in sleeves, but crap happens.