at first there were rattling noises, then it froze... turns out somesmall roller bearings ran around between the ring gear & bell housing, finally stopping rotation & cracking the bell housing where did the rollers come from? the torque convertor seems to turn smoothly... where can I get a bell housing?? maybe just weld the crack.. also the tranny leaks oil into the crankcase oil... heat exchanger?? any idea??:Banghead
I recently found what looked like two roller bearings in a bell housing. After careful examination I could see that one end on each of them appeared to be sheared off. I also found small pieces of what looked like wire. They were in fact broken snap rings. The kind that are on the end of a starting motor armature shaft. Those roller bearings are actually the ends starting motor shafts. I am replacing the flywheel ring gear. I could see where the broken parts rolled around with the flywheel and nicked the bell housing in a lot of places. Lucky for me there was no damage to the flywheel or bell housing.