Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1979 john deere 310 bachhoe rear axle bearing

steve n ยท 2018-09-05 15:56

Do I need to pull the backhoe to remove the rear axle assembly to replace the rear axle?

Replies7
  1. #1Awhelan2018-09-05 16:38

    Not If its the same as my 410, I did have to undo one of the backhoe upper braces and jack it up out of the way to get the axle housing all the way out tho.

  2. #2T-town2018-09-05 21:01

    The diagonal forward brace... on my 310b... is what Awhelan is referring to I believe. The "book" says step #1... pull the backhoe...... yeah, right ! None of my pins were coming out. The pin holding that brace ( forward, low... just in front of the entry step) would not budge .. and I did not want to burn them out, so I cut the brace.... and bolted a plate on both sides when I was finished.... with every intention to have it welded, but not yet. With that brace loose, able to pivot up, you can position a jack to provide the clearance to roll those axle housings clear. Did both sides that way.

  3. #3Awhelan2018-09-06 09:23

    Yep that's the one, but I should admit that after spending alot of cash on oxygen and alot of my time burning thru 6"+ of pin on the first side, that I cut the brace on the other side as well!! Its a big job! I did it 4 times in 5 years! The last time in I added grease tubes to the outer bearings on each axle to make it easier to grease from the cab. I have detailed pictures of the whole job, I'll try and find them today.

  4. #4Awhelan2018-09-06 09:35
  5. #5Awhelan2018-09-06 09:36

    I have some more of the other side I cut somewhere...

  6. #6Awhelan2018-09-06 10:13
  7. #7T-town2018-09-06 14:43

    Nice.... pics I mean !!..... I would say that I did mine with the fenders on..??...(310b) did not seem to get in the way of anything for me. Both of mine had to come out.... thrust washer ( ?) failure and then a major blowout inside. Locked up out in the field and there she sat ( level!!) all winter tarped up and housing pulled on locked side.... and in the spring, when I went to pull the other side to change out the brake seals,,,, low and behold the other side was about to blow too. That side came out quicker for some reason??!!