Hi- This old truck use to be a white wrecker according to the title-(volvo bought them up sometime) then somehow someway she became a log grapple truck. I sure could use some input on this one. The front rear end of two on the top has what I believe is called a torque arm. There is an identical setup on the rear-rear end so I don't believe this has been like fixed on the side. The funny thing about this is the way the torque arm is attached to the top of the rear end. Normally there is like a 1" say bolt through one end of a clevis bracket welded to the top of the rear end which slides through a type protected sleeve end - through the other end of the clevis and has a large nut on it with a key pin. Problem: The one I have has the same type system however there is no one end fixed it has a large nut /pin on both ends. AND I CAN'T GET IT BROKE LOOSE to take it out and have the new bushing pressed into both ends. Iv'e beat on it-squirted w/penetration oil(okay got it - no jokes) - put a torch to it -even put a two ton jack on one end (unscrewed the end of the jack which fit perfectly into the end of the nut slightly unscrewed- and let her rip- NOTHING I really hate to take a band saw and cut it off- ANY IDEAS OUT THERE !!!!! HELP PLS As last resort- I could take a band saw cut inside the clevis and cut the bolt/sleeve off on both sides- then have the old torque are re-bushing done and find a new bolt with a nut on one end and some kind of steel pipe to make a protector sleeve- think that could make the old girl crack a smile? Guy's do you think this might work? thanks brian- Southern Storms Recovery Resources Inc.
a picture of the torque arm instead of a picture of the truck might get you better answers. just sayin
If you have to cut through the sleave part your saw will never scratch it even. It will be a smokey dirty job but you may have to torch it.
1979 road boss torque arm- problem Here are the pictures- I got it hot with a torch-but nothing- I sure hate to cut it off- then I have to locate a bushing that fits a bolt and will work with the sleeve part etc. -the first picture shows the type rubber bushing that is in it-ie like the missing front one-also shown- it also shows that this even though it has a piece of steel welded to it the bushing part was not a one off-fix. thanks brian
About the only idea from hear that I could think of is put the jack on the one end then after lubing the nut real good tighten it on the other end, push with jack and pull with the nut? Might need to use a few washers under the nut to make sure you don't run out of threads. Band saw might be the best idea, when you buy the new bushing it may come with new bolt. Also the torque arm end may be worn to the point it would need to be replaced. Any good heavy truck parts house should be able to match things up to fit. Many of the replacement torque arms are available with adjustable centers, some thread together and others are two ends with a section of tubing that you cut to length and weld in the ends.
I agree with kshansen. That thing looks pretty sad. May be easier and cheaper to go with a new part and remove the old without worrying about saving a worn out part. Could be faster and cheaper in the long run.