Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

1980 D4E Transmission fluid level rising

Tice ยท 2025-01-29 18:45

First thread here so don't beat me up if this has been answered. I have a new to me 1980 Cat D4E power shift. The transmission fluid keeps climbing on the dipstick and I'm losing engine oil. I would say probably a gallon for 2 hours of running but no major puddles on the ground. It leaks from the torque converter seal when the trans fluid level gets really high. I'm assuming engine oil has to be transfering to the transmission. Is this possible?

Replies16
  1. #1pittsburgh cat man2025-01-29 21:42

    One question is your transmission oil getting dark?

  2. #2D6 Merv2025-01-30 02:33

    Engine oil can NOT transfer from engine to transmission on a powershift D4E, there is no physical connection. If your transmission oil level is climbing; oil must be transfering forward from bevel gear compartment. Have you checked bevel gear oil level dipstick ?? The 2 dipsticks are mounted side by side inside rhs door If your loosing engine oil its either leaking out somewhere or burning it

  3. #3Tice2025-01-30 10:22

    No color change but i guess Merv answers that question. I know I am losing some from the bevel gear it just seems like the transmission is filling faster than the bevel gear is losing. I can now concentrate on how I'm losing engine oil that fast. Thanks for the replies. I looked everywhere for that answer.

  4. #4chidog2025-01-30 14:07

    Oil can transfer from engine to transmission on a D8H. I lived with that problem for a year or so, we had to use the machine no time to fix it. And I'm talking power shift transmission. Oh and the D8 bevel gear oil is transmission oil. Leaky seals and finals could transfer either direction. I would think D4 is similar?

  5. #5chidog2025-01-30 14:14

    If there is a similar to a D7 to D9 low track, torque converter mounted on the flywheel end there is a connection from engine to transmission.

  6. #6Tice2025-01-30 15:18

    Here is a pic.

  7. #7pittsburgh cat man2025-01-30 17:52

    looks like rear main leaking and transmission input leaking too

  8. #8Tice2025-01-30 18:01

    They both definitely are. Transmission leaks when it gets overfull. Rear main leaks but not at the rate that I'm losing fluid.

  9. #9.RC.2025-01-30 18:35

    On these machines the torque converter is integral to the transmission. The flywheel is dry.

  10. #10Tones2025-01-30 18:50

    Ive seen this problem on a D4e power shift that was new, it took some tracing and eventually found the hydraulic pump shaft seal to be leaking. Just maybe that's the problem here.

  11. #11D6 Merv2025-01-30 23:55

    yes that will happen; but implement hydraulic oil level goes down and engine oil level rises

  12. #12D6 Merv2025-01-30 23:58

    D6,7,8,9 are similar design; however powershift D4D/D4E are a completely different design. Torque converter/Transmission/and transmission pump are all one integral design. consequently engine flywheel housing is dry.

  13. #13D6 Merv2025-01-31 00:02

    D4D/E transmission does not even have transfer gears; and bevel gear/steeering clutch oil is a seperate compartment. Is a double lip type seal on transmission pinion. And IF it has the optional PTO arrangement is another lip type oil seal on that that will also transfer oil, as its lower than pinion gear

  14. #14Tice2025-01-31 02:12

    So if its a dry flywheel should I be getting oil coming out of that rear main seal? Or maybe that's a flywheel seal and my actual real main(in front of the flywheel) is bad and leaking into the flywheel. Should I open the bolt on the bottom of the flywheel housing and verify no oil is filling it up? I need the manual for the 3304. I bought the manual for the D4E but I didn't realize it was void of the engine. Any recommendations on which one to buy?

  15. #15Tones2025-01-31 06:02

    Gotcha, so there could be 2 problems but unrelated. A leaking seal in the trany and diesel in the engine oil. Oil sample would tell what's going on with the engine and cheaper than guessing.

  16. #16Glum2025-01-31 08:43

    You can drill a hole in the plug and put a cotter pin loosely in it so that it can wiggle around and keep the hole open, allowing any leakage past the rear main seal to leak out. I'd say the amount of oil you are losing from the motor is burning up or you would see it on the ground. Only fix for the trans is to block the machine up and drop the trans to replace the seal on the pinion ( and hope like hell that you don't find stuffed bearings and rounded or chipped pinion teeth) Good luck, you have some work ahead of you.